sharp fast lens for pen 2

howard b. schwartz

<p>The Panaleica f2.8 is a fine choice but an alternative would be cine lenses with a 4/3rds to C-mount adapter. I have seen some amazing portraits from these cine lenses here and they are fast (one cine lens is f0.95)!! You may be able find these cine lenses for a bargain compared to dedicated 4/3rds lenses at retail prices.</p>

<p>Angenieux 25mm f.95 lens (black & silver versions) (c-mount/Arri-mount)<br />Kern Macro Switar 26mm f1.1<br />Angenieux 50mm f1.8 lens (c-mount)<br />Angenieux 75mm f2.5 lens (c-mount)<br />Kinoptik 50mm f2 APO macro lens (c-mount/Arri-mount)<br />Cooke Kinetal 50mm T2 (c-mount/Arri-mount)<br />Kern Switar 50mm f1.9 (c-mount)</p>

<p>AF choices are few for a fast telephoto at a reasonable price and size. <br>

As for MF choices, I use a 40/1.4 Pen Zuiko 1/2 frame lens, which is a wonderful sharp lens for portraits. I've also tried the 50/1.8 or 50/1.4 OM-Zuikos, which are pretty good too. The 50/1.8 is supremely cheap also. Add the appropriate adapter cost, of course.<br>

I've also put my 50/1.5 Nokton and 28/1.9 Ultron Voigtlander RF lenses on the camera to good measure.<br>

Skip</p>

<p>Illka means the Zuiko Digital 50mm f2 macro lens in regular 4:3 mount. You would need an adapter to use it on a micro 4:3 camera. The lens is $500 and the adapter is about $200 I think. Of course a 50mm on a 4:3 format has the same angle of view as a 100mm lens on a full frame camera so it's a little narrower angle than your 85mm on your full frame Canon.</p>

<p>Howard I use the 85 F1.2 on a G1 but it is difficult to use wide open as the DOF is so small unless you use a tripod (it is find handheld from F1.8). I find the Canon FD 50 F3.5 is the sharpest lens for portrait use on my G1 but it is not fast. I have used my Canon FD 50 F1.4 but this is not that sharp wide open. In the Fd range the 50 F1.2 L (the non L lens is poor) will be great but expensive. One day I will get adaptors for my Contax 50 f1.7 and Contax G series 45 F2. Both of these lenses are amazingly sharp wide open and much cheaper than Leicas. Indeed the 45 F2 was tested as being about as sharp as they get. The problem with the G series lenses is they are designed for AF and the adaptors for the M4/3 bodies are rather clunky. You will not go far wrong with the Contax 50 F1.7 which can be found a lot cheaper than the equivalent leicas as it is an orphan.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You will not go far wrong with the Contax 50 F1.7 which can be found a lot cheaper than the equivalent leicas as it is an orphan.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The equivalent Leicas (Summicron-R) are orphans too. They cost more simply because the 1.7/50 Planar, even when current, was the budget-priced lens in the Contax range to begin with.</p>

<p>If you are willing to go with a focal length of 25mm (50mm equiv. on 35mm FullFrame) then the new Voigtländer Nokton f0.95/25mm is a FAST m4/3rds lens just released about a month ago. Maybe a fast Voigtländer 45mm m4/3rds lens might be made in the future? </p>

<p><a href="http://www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigtlaender/voigtlaender_cms.nsf/id/pa_mft_lenses.html">http://www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigtlaender/voigtlaender_cms.nsf/id/pa_mft_lenses.html</a></p>