Nikon D700-Beware possible scam

andrew_fedon

<p>I was browsing ebayUK and opened up a 'factory refurbished' D700, plus 24-120mm, that seemed really ridiculously low priced at 'buy-it-now' 500 pounds UK, plus 5 pounds delivery (yeah right !). I asked out of curiosity "whats the serial number ?" and got no reply. I checked later and found it had sold, and in the 'completed items' the same seller had FOUR identical D700s + lens sold with-in a few minutes of each other, all same 'stock' photo of item three at 500 pounds and one at 150 pounds UK ! (check it out , items: 110590300650, 110590312274, 110590318080, 110590336776). I instantly thought "SCAM !", has to be. Who would be selling a D700+24-120mm at 'buy it now' for 150 pounds ????or even 500 ??<br>

I think the people that sent their money to this seller will be waiting for a long time to see the D700, what do you think ?</p>

<p>Whenever you see those ridiculous prices, it should be obvious that something is not right: either they won't deliver or it is damaged/stolen goods, etc. I hate to say this, but whoever is dumb enough to send money deserves to lose it.</p>

<p>I am afraid that it is not a good idea to list those eBay auction numbers and direct more people to the scam.</p>

<p>Charles, I disagree. I think it is ok to mention such scams exist; there are so many of them out there anyway. However, there is no need to provide auction numbers to direct people there. Some people may actually send money as a result due to greed and stupidity. The low feedback scores should be a clear red flag.</p>

<p>Shun, maybe you're right, but they are actually completed listings, so no one can bid on them. When I first saw the first one I suspected stolen goods, but after seeing all four 'completed', I realised what they are probably doing. Set up new sellers account with ebay, paypal etc, put up four (non-existant) high price cameras using 'stock' photos, at ridiculously low 'buy-it-now' prices that are guaranteed to sell immediately, collect four lots of 500'ish pounds same day and dissapear without a trace, and buyers never get the cameras. Until, you set up the same scam under a different name. The one 'negative' feedback seems to be from a potential buyer or someone who seems to have parted with money, and realised something is wrong.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Charles, I disagree. I think it is ok to mention such scams exist; there are so many of them out there anyway. However, there is no need to provide auction numbers to direct people there. Some people may actually send money as a result due to greed and stupidity. The low feedback scores should be a clear red flag.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Shun, I admire your compassion. However, I do not think posting auction specifics is an issue. If someone is that stupid, then they will eventually get scammed, regardless. Admit it. Someone would have to be pretty ignorant to read about a scam on photo.net and then go directly to that auction and place a bid. People need to be responsible for themselves. You can't fix stupid.</p>