Nature's Best - photo magazine may finally be getting off the ground.

glen_johnson

• 2 months later...

A couple of months ago I ran into "Natures Best" for the first time at an airport newstand. I've subscribed to many photo magazines but, in my opinion this was the BEST nature magazine so far. I subscribed immediately.

<p>

Last week I received their spring issue. I can only say WOW...its fantastic. I'm motivated and receive much pleasure from looking at quality photos. This magazine gives me that.

<p>

As to technical info. I agree most technical information is of little real value. Nevertheless, although my present knowledge of photography tells me that giving me info as to equipment used has no real value, when my own camera and lens are shown as the equipment used my ego gets a boost and the reafirmation that its not the equipment, it's the photographer.

• 5 months later...

I've not seen the Mag. "natures Best" but will e-mail for info today.

As a photographer trained in the days before zoom lens and internal

gizmos, I find that I am sometime distract from the things that make

me aware of what is a good photograph. Speed in taking pictures is not

always the best way. Most of those pictures that make us say WOW were

not part of a motor drive sequence. Ihope that this mag. will make it

big time.

• 2 years later...
Two years later, it looks like <i>Nature's Best</i> is doing well. I just bought my second issue of the magazine and must say I think it's by far the best nature photo mag around. Another mag that I discovered lately is <i>Scenes Of The World</i>. It's in the National Geo style but with a much stronger accent on nature. Both magazines have excellent photography.<p>

• 2 months later...

This is great. First time I have really found a forum were everyone is dead set on their own opinion and expresses it fully. I found this forum discussion after seeing the natures best on OLN today just a few minutes ago. I searched google for "nature's best magazine".

Anyway, thanks for the amusing reads... I have just signed up and will be bookmarking this site to read thru more.

I live in northern VA and just an hour away from Skyline Drive/Appalacian mountains.

Good day, and happy 4th of July.

Scott Veirs

• 6 months later...

I'd like to comment because of the 'exposyure data / lens etc.' important/not important to know discussion / sharing of viewpoints.

I personally think that 'photographer-emotion' plays a role here.

I agree that shutterspeed/f-stop etc. is not 'technically' interesting. However, if I (and I guess many more of 'us') look at photo's (among other places here at photo.net), its not only to look at the picture, but to have a good time (just being 'busy' with photo-related things). Looking at pictures and reading about the how/when/where (or even who was watching but outside of the recorded picture for all I care), is simply fun. A frame filling shot of a cheetah taken with a 600mm tells me a different story then when it was taken with a 80mm (difference to me: Serengeti / Zoo!). And thus the appreciation (in some ways) of the picture.

Tehnical details or not, brand names mentioned or not, I personally don't care, as long as it can entertain me. The details-in-writing that come with a photo (or not), are just like web pages, its easy to skip them if you'r not interested.

Personally I think the 'equipment/technical/brand' fanatics are great. I dont care about which brand a picture was taken with, but if someone simply is into the 'brand' thing, and haves fun doing so, he's accomplishing the primary goal (to my eye) of photography: HAVING FUN!

Whether someone makes great pictures, or just collects the most expensive stuff to 'act' interesting, as long as it makes the person feel good, its okay for me.

I think the variety of people and their 'goals' (composition-wizards , exposure freaks, brand-fanatics, equipment hungry, or whatever) make the photography 'world' so colourfull and interesting place (good example being the community on this site).

Loving every minute of it!!

On the nature magazine, I dont know it, but any magazine without to much advertising is a welcome change.