What to do with my extra eqiptment at an Event?

jane_jones1

<p> I do not have a lot of equipment at this time. But I do not know quite what to do w/ the extra equipment at a wedding event. As of now I have one large canon bag that fits both my cameras, my flash, lenses and all the other things (batteries, cleaning items etc.) I usually wear one camera and have a small side purse that I store my zoom, batteries and my flash in, right there on me. So it's really just my extra camera in the bag. I can't afford a pelican case this week and I have several weddings coming up over the next few weeks. Is it ok to lock it in my car in the afternoon, or could the mild heat damage my camera? I am really not comfortable stashing it under a table and not all my weddings have djs or hotel desks, many are at peoples homes and at restaurants, but I do have a few in my down town area booked were my car will likely be in a parking a garage a few blocks from the event so the car idea will not work there.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Do you have a high quality cooler? Keep it in your house at room temp, then into the car when you leave for the event. Drop your spare gear/bag in that cooler in the car. It will take a lot longer for the heat in the cart to get even close to impacting the temps of the gear inside the cooler. And, of course, if you crack the car's windows even a quarter of an inch, you'll greatly reduce the temps in the car.<br /><br />Otherwise, look for one of those wire mesh safety bags and a padlock, so that you can anchor your gear to a fixture in the venue.</p>

<p>Mild heat will not damage camera gear. However, that isn't the problem. The problem is locking stuff in a car. Unless the gear is second back up status and you are only leaving a small bag or case in the depths of your trunk and you aren't going into the trunk at all, you should not leave stuff in a car. Certainly not anywhere it can be seen through the windows, and as you said, it doesn't help you if your car is not that easily accessible. You do not know who was watching you (the photographer) coming out of your parked car.</p>

<p>I've had stuff stolen before so I'm extra careful. I do not leave anything (I mean zero) with the DJ or hotel venue, even if they offer. Some places offer a locked room, which does not help you if you need to access your gear.</p>

<p>In your case, I would recommend you analyze your gear for each specific event, and go the lightest possible for each one, with the objective of <strong>not having any other bag to worry about</strong>. Wear everything you need on your body or in your shoulder bag/side purse. I recommend you wear your back up body on you. Use a long strap to wear it across your chest, with the body at your left, back hip. I use a photographer's belt as well, so I clip it to the back of my belt, so mine hangs to my back when I am not using it (I often use it as a second camera, but I have a special holster style strap for it). Alternatively, you could wear it high, under your left arm/ribcage.</p>

<p>Be selective of the lenses you bring, and put the flash on the main camera (leave it there, even if you don't use it). Bring the main body and flash and main lens all put together. If you have to walk through questionable areas and don't want the gear to be seen, use a duffel bag big enough to put the whole thing in.</p>

<p>I should add--I have two cable locks (one of them is alarmed) that I use to attach my hard case to a fixed object, but barring that, one of those mesh bags (Pac Safe) that Matt mentioned would work for your bag. However, it would be simpler, in my mind, for you--to not have a bag outside the one you have on you. A good place to attach stuff to, though, is the DJ's speaker stands (ask permission, of course). When attaching to table legs, be sure the cable loop can't be slipped off the leg--always attach to a strut.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>What to do with my extra equipment at an Event? . . . I usually wear one camera and have a small side purse that I store my zoom, batteries and my flash in, right there on me. . . <strong>So it's really just my extra camera in the bag</strong>.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>As I understand, after reading the post twice a key question boils down to: “<em>where do I store my second camera?”</em><br>

The answer is: carry it on you – slung across you with a long strap, or whatever.<br>

Is this the actual problem? i.e. does the bag you want store, only contain your second camera?<br>

Putting the second camera in a car, under a table or in a locker etc is asking for trouble IMO. I suggest always carrying two cameras for al least most of the Wedding’s coverage. I have had two cameras fail at an awards function, just as one example.<br>

WW</p>

<p>Sound like you have only a camera in your bag. Since a second camera could be needed really fast I would just wear it over or across my shoulder.</p>

<p>Put a lens on it and you can use it to shoot with as well. Most people shooting two cameras have something wide on one and something long on the other. Google for tips how to carry (and shoot with if you like) two cameras if you don't find it intuitive.</p>

<p>You might put non-essential items in the bag (like cleaning stuff) and put it in your car.</p>

<p>I had my gear stolen by professional thieves preying on wedding photographers, and so has an associate of mine. His case was $10,000 worth of Hasselblad lenses. Mine wasn't as bad. Always--the worst part is losing the images you just shot, which, in the case of a wedding, are truly irreplaceable, unlike the physical gear. I've written about it plenty already, so I didn't launch into it again here.</p>

<p>Moral of the story--do not become complacent. Protect your gear, AND protect those images. The best is if you don't have another case or bag to worry about. But if you do, take steps to protect it, and don't let your guard down. Trust no one. Even an assistant is not enough unless you hire that assistant just to sit on your gear.</p>

<p>Apart from getting a Rottweiler and teaching him to second shoot, this is a very serious issue.<br>

Do not - NOT - ever trust your gear to another wedding vendor. They are doing exactly what you are - paying attention to the wedding! If you are going to utilize any space near the DJ make sure you have a strong bag that locks and a security cable that fastens to a solid stationary object. Even with this method there are no guarantees. I have heard about wedding crashers dressed to the nines, carrying small bolt cutters for just such cables. They do their research. Funny thing is they prey on upper class venues because they probably figure the photographers are high end pros with the top of the line gear.<br>

Above all, make sure your memory cards are on your person at ALL times. If you put down a second camera, remove the card and keep it on you. That is your most valuable piece of gear. Guard it with your life!<br>

I try to utilize the minimum gear I can easily carry, but for most weddings you do want to have some stuff that you will only use sporadically and just don't want to lug around all day. Then, for the reception, I like to go with a single body and lens and no grip. So, it makes sense to have something in which to store your extra gear. The most important thing you can do there is invest in a good quality case, like Think Tank Airport International (my case) or something similar. It's easy to cart around because it has wheels and it has more than one way to lock it down.</p>

<p>The most important part of my security is with memory cards-as others have mentioned, they stay with me at all times. I have a wallet that holds 6 cards, and I have it full of 8GB cards, which is plenty for just about any wedding. I have my 5D with 70-200 on one shoulder, 5D MarkII with 24-70 on the other, a lumbar pack (it's not a fanny pack, I swear!) With fisheye, 50mm, batteries, extra flash, snacks, etc.<br>

I have my assistant carry my 30D with one of my primes attached, and she handles my off camera flashes as well as when I sometimes need to squeeze in a tight spot and need to take off one of my cameras. I do have a couple pelican cases, but I haven't taken them into the venue with me for the weddings I've done this year, since my assistant and I carry everything I need.</p>