Choosing between matte/lustre papers - confusion!

<p>I'm in a little bother at the moment, choosing between some papers. Your (personal) experience and advice would be most appreciated! So...<br>

<strong>For Matte (proofing) papers</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>Epson Archival (or Enhanced) Matte paper</li>

<li>Epson Heavyweight Matte paper </li>

<li>Ilford Smooth Heavyweight Matte paper</li>

</ul>

<p>I've listed them above in price order (most expensive to least) though the difference is very small (as in, give or take a few dollars) and anyway, quality is more important. Thoughts?<br>

<strong>For Fine Art (matte) papers</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>Epson Velvet paper</li>

<li>Moab Entrada Natural 300gsm (or Bright, but mostly considering Natural at this stage) paper</li>

<li>Moab Somerset Enhanced Velvet paper</li>

</ul>

<p>Again, listed in price order. Here, though, the Epson Velvet is actually quite a fair bit more pricey. I've heard it's the best, though to be honest I'm not looking for such a heavily-textured paper. Then again, I've also heard that it surpasses the Entrada and the Somerset Velvet in quality even though the Entrada is a smooth (relative) paper? Can someone confirm or reject this idea? I thought the Entrada would be perfect, but apparently the Epson outshines it. I know that the Somerset isn't so good (apparently), but I listed it here in case someone really likes it and has something to say about it.<br>

<strong>For Lustre papers</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>Moab Lasal Photo Lustre paper</li>

<li>Ilford Galerie Smooth Lustre Duo paper</li>

<li>Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl paper</li>

</ul>

<p>Okay, so this is in price order technically, but the Moab is only in front because of delivery fees (I have to source it elsewhere). I can potentially (unlikely, but still) find a cheaper rate, so it might not matter then. But there's a noticeable difference in price, straight-off, between the Smooth Lustre Duo and the Smooth Pearl papers from Ilford. Isn't Pearl really just Lustre? I don't really need double-sided printing, so if that's it, it doesn't matter. I definitely will use the Pearl for 5x7" prints as that's all I can find (in my area) for 5x7" prints, but for A4 (and maybe even A3+) printing, I'm really trying to decide between these three.<br>

---<br>

Thank you all once again! :)</p>

<p>Charles, I'm aware that paper is very subjective - but that's the point, I want to know what works for people.<br>

You'll find many people share the same opinions, and a general consensus on things is normally reflected in buyers/viewers.<br>

Thanks David - I don't suppose you're familiar with the difference(s) between the Lustre Duo and the Pearl paper?</p>