Hasselblad 80mm Planar T on Olympus 4/3

rdegetaire

<p>Something didn't come out right with the above post, sorry... Here goes again.<br>

I have read a few places of people using the Hasselblad 80mm on Olympus 4/3 Esystems. <br>

Has anyone here actually used it? Is the image super sharp as I have heard it described previously, and is it worth the money to look into vs. Zuiko lens? What is the part number to the adaptor and where can it be bought? Thanks!</p>

<p>The Planar 80 is rather heavy and does not have a tripod collar (you could fashion one at some expense). This weight could place undue strain on the body mount. Also the Olympus four thirds sensor introduces a 2x crop factor so your Hassy lens would act like a 160mm. I'd be more inclined to put an 50mm f1.4 or f2.0 lens from an existing manual focus system and use an adapter from Fotodiox (under $30) to allow use of your Pentax, Nikon or Leica R lenses. Those are the three adapters I bought from them to use on my Olympus E-500. These adapters are nicely made and work well.</p>

<p>I have the necessary adapters and lens so I could do it but I don't think I have ever even tried. I did try the 4/150 Sonnar, also in Hasselblad V mount, and it is an excellent lens even on the very small sensor. Almost equal to the 2/150 ZD. But it is manual focus only, F/4, and almost equal in size and weight to the 2/150 as well, so not really very useful.</p>

<p>If you need a good, shorter lens, then the 2/50 ZD is hard to beat.</p>

<p >Robin,</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I think some of the information provided is a bit misrepresented. The Carl Zeiss Planar T* (Hasselblad mount” is not a very heavy lens and does not require a tripod mounting collar. And this medioum format lens is equivalent to a 200mm (35mm format) on the Olympus E-series DSLRs; it has a multiplication factor of 2.5x.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I have shot with this lens and it is “Tack Sharp.” Most of the usage has been shooting portraits and wedding formal settings. Outside of Linhof, it's a great piece of glass and has a higher range of sweet spot than any lens, including Zuiko glass. I've attached a Cokin filter system and focus handle.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >You can find some information on my website, atlantaMAXphoto.com under “Review” and there is another place to read a review/critique:</p>

<p > </p>

<p >olegnovikov.com/technical/cfe80/cfe80.shtml</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I would suggest getting a Hasselblad focus handle; it attaches to the focus ring and makes focusing a lot easier to manually control. I bought my Hasselblad 500 C/M and lens from KEH.com along with other accessories. It's a great in-house studio camera system.</p>

<p > </p>

<p>Hi Ken, <br>

thanks for the info. Do you have a link that I could price/purchase this lens and adaptor from?<br>

Just to make sure I am understanding you correctly on the conversion... I am aware of the difference between a Full frame and 4/3 sensor. That is the easy conversion. a 35mm ZD lens on a 4/3 is equiv. to a 70mm on full frame. Are you saying that the 80mm medium format lens is like using a 100mm ZD lens? Or like using a 200mm ZD lens?<br>

Thanks again for the info bud!<br>

Robin</p>

<p>Robin,</p>

<p>You can view the pricing of the Carl Zeiss 80mm Planar T* B60 (Hasselblad) at KEH.com<br>

The black lens (B60) goes for $668 - 275.00 depending on condition.</p>

<p>I found an adapter, Hasselblad to 4/3, on E-bay quite a while back. I paid a ridiculous $134.00. </p>

<p>http://photography.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=4%2F3+adapter+Hasselblad&_sacat=625&_dmpt=Lens_Accessories&_odkw=4%2F3+adapter&_osacat=625&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313</p>

<p>If the "ZD" means Zuiko Digital, the Carl Zeiss 80mm lens (medium format) is equivalent to 100mm ZD or 200mm, 35mm format. I verified this by comparing the focal length by adjusting the 70-300mm ZD to fit the same frame in the viewfinder and comparing multiple focal length shots of the same subject to that of the Carl Zeiss 80mm lens.</p>

<p>The Carl Zeiss lens is tack sharp, has excellent bokeh, and stunning depth when shooting on any of the E-series cameras. Again, I use this lens for portraits and formal set wedding shots; it's one of my favorites.</p>

<p> </p>