Posing Five Parents

kavan_murphy2

<p>Hi guys. Quick question...</p>

<p>I have a wedding coming up where the parents of the bride and groom situation is a little unique (at least as far as my experience goes). The bride's parents are divorced and both have remarried. While that's not unusual, the groom only has his mom on his side and they want a picture with all five parents in there with the bride and groom. I thought about doing ladies on one side and guys on the other, but then there isn't a buffer between the bride's dad and her step dad. Maybe the groom's mother in the middle? I think that might look a little odd, though...</p>

<p>Anyhoo, don't know if some of you out there have encountered similar situations or have some ideas. The client specifically asked for a picture with all the parents, but doesn't want "the traditional bride's parents on one side groom's parents on the other" (obviously). Any suggestions?</p>

<p>How would this work, <br>

have the brides's parents together by her side. The grooms mother by his side and then the bride's step mum and step dad to the side of the groom's mum but standing just a little bit away from them just enough to seperate them this should balance the shot a little. <br>

Just a thought<br>

Cheers<br>

John.</p>

<p>Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys. Jim, I wish the bride had a suggestion; it'd make my life easier for this shot :) But she specifically asked me to come up with something and have something in mind for when we do the shot. Of course, I've never met the parents, so I don't know if they're tall, short, heavy, thin, etc. and that can play a part in positioning as well. I just want to go into it with some idea, though I know I'll have a better sense of how it will work when I see them all together. Just trying to game plan a bit first.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The client <strong>specifically asked for a picture with all the parents</strong>, but doesn't want "the traditional bride's parents on one side groom's parents on the other" (obviously). Any suggestions?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If I were charged with posing for a Photograph to maintain a Traditional Style but without splitting up the married partners - I would shoot two arrangements for that group of 7 People.<br>

Working camera L to R:</p>

<p>Arr 01: Wife of Bride's Dad; Bride's Dad; Bride; Groom; Groom's Mum; Husband of Bride's Mother; Bride's Mother. </p>

<p>Arr 02: Husband of Bride's Mum; Bride's Mum; Bride; Groom; Groom's Mum; Wife of Bride's Dad; Bride's Dad.</p>

<p> WW</p>

<p>I like the idea of posing them with the bride and groom in front. L-R: Brides step-mom, brides dad, brides mom, brides step-dad, grooms mom, with the bride and groom seated in front. This would be a balanced composition and keep partners together. </p>

<p>At our wedding, we had the step-parent thing going on, and the off-balance "he has 4 people, she has 2" just didn't look good, period. But I lean more toward traditional posing in these situations. </p>

<p>If it were me shooting this, I would start with a traditional shot and then let other arangements flow out of that. The symetrical line-up will show you visually how everyone works together and let you see if there are any evil-glares going on that would hinder a more relaxed set-up (there was in our wedding ;-) ). </p>

<p>Good luck, and please post results. I like to see how these things turn out!</p>

<p>Jen </p>

<p>Here ia another idea that could work. From left to right.</p>

<p>Brides Step Dad, Brides Mum, Grooms Mum, Brides Step Mum, Brides Dad. These are positioned to the left of the photo in a slight horseshoe confirgation facing slightly towards the bridal couple who are to the right of the photo. You can have the parents looking at the couple who are looking at each other, or you can have everyone looking at the camera.</p>

<p>I agree with what has been said try a few things on the day and see what happens and read how everyone feels.</p>

<p>Good luck<br />John</p>

<p>Unfortunately you don't have the B&G's input and they are relying solely on you to make the shot.</p>

<p>Personally, I would shoot this in a few ways and let the B&G decide after the fact. Always play it safe and take extra shots. However, you should keep in mind that it's the Bride and Groom that are most important in these shots.</p>

<p>B&G with B's parents<br>

B&G with each of B's parents/step parents<br>

B&G with G's mom<br>

B&G with everyone arranged behind the B&G, maybe a bit out of focus, "looking on" as the B&G look into each other's eyes or are moving toward the edge of the frame.</p>

<p>Just a few ideas...it can be quite a challenge.<br>

RS</p>

<blockquote>

<p>“Anyhoo, don't know if some of you out there have encountered similar situations or have some ideas.”</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes I have.<br>

And on many occasions.<br>

The role of a Professional Wedding Photographer is (sometimes . . . - often times?) more than taking photos.<br>

Reading your question literally, you are being asked to solve a problem.<br>

They (the client) do not want to work it out.<br>

The “Client” I assume is the B&G <strong>mainly the B</strong>, who wants her Wedding to be “Perfect”.<br>

So don't just pose them any way you like. Think about it and consider ALL the elements involved.<br>

As well a answering her request with a positive “no problem, it will be OK” you also need to produce the goods on the day <strong>by managing the situation.</strong><br>

I make these suggestions, with over 1500 weddings under my belt.</p>

<p>WW</p>