When asked to do a photoshoot using a double

portrait with "soft sell" I settled on Apo Telyt 180mm with Softar

as the final image. The maximum bite of this lense without a

touch of soft focus did not give as strong a message.Has

anyone experienced this in their portrait photography and how

have you compensated for the effect? By the way, that classic

gritty black and white Pentax portrait a few threads back achieves

it's purpose perfectly and is a winner.

Yes, the new lenses are indeed sharp! This would have been a great chance to use a 180/2.8 Elmarit. I always found mine sharp enough, but it gave a nice glow to portraits when used wide open. Even better, if you can find one, is the 150mm f/2.3 Astro Tachar. The 100mm f/2 Angenieux at f/2.8 is similar in character if you can find one that hasn't hazed/fogged up.

• 2 years later...

I used a paper napkin for about 25% of the exposure time and got a very fine effect in portraits. Say it's a 10 second exposure, do 8 seconds sharp. the next 2 seconds wave the napkin or other tissue paper around between the lens and the print. Works like magic, you get great details where you want them, and a selected contrast reduction in harsh areas. Leaving holes in napkin you can sharpen the eyes, or other areas while the rest are smoothed a bit. Unique, you have to try this to get it. One shot I remembered well was a child in a white dress blowing out candles on a big white birthday cake. Totally fabulous print using the above.

bob luhrs