Yellowstone and Grand Tetons: which first

zvia_shever

<p>Hi,<br>

Husband and I are traveling to Wyoming next June. We have planned 3 nights in Yellowstone and 6 nights in Jackson Hole. I just can't decide which to do first. My initial thought was to do Yellowstone the first 3 nights of June 20th, 21st and 22nd, then Jackson Hole for the following 6 nights, as our accommodations in JH are nicer and will be hopefully more restful (ie: fewer tourists/crowds etc...).<br>

After reading a couple photo books on Yellowstone, they both say that the geysers will photograph better in warm weather as they steam a lot more in cold weather (makes sense). We could do our first 6 nights in JH (20th-25th) and then spend the last few days/nights (26th-28th) in Yellowstone. Will 6 days make that much of a difference in the temperature?<br>

Thanks in advance for the input!</p>

<p>I would, but as my husband likes to remind me, "It's our vacation, not a photo safari." He wants more time in JH for golf! We're flying in and out of JH (afternoon both flights), so it really doesn't matter which we do first. Just not sure if the weather will warm up 6 days later in the month.</p>

<p>restful: if I were looking to get away from it all and relax without crowds, Jackson Hole and Yellowstone in June would not be on my list of places to go. It will be busy - they set records for attendance this summer in the worst recession in my lifetime. I go there not to get away from it all but to find it all - scenery, wildlife, fall color - I leave Friday! Is it Friday yet?</p>

<p>Figure about 6500 ft elevation in Jackson Hole, higher of course if you go climbing somewhere. Yellowstone is essentially 7500+ ft everywhere. So the elevation will keep it cooler than sea level, figure the afternoon highs will be about 5 degrees cooler per one thousand feet of elevation from where you live - a good first estimate. Overnight lows will be about 30 degrees cooler than the highs. It's possible to get snow in any month, but the risk is very low in late June except for up in the mountains.</p>

<p>Yellowstone is larger and requires more driving to get around, and its bigger. If you want to see both parks, you'll be happier if you reverse your plans - 6 in Yellowstone and 3 in the Tetons. But if your goal is to see some of the parks and drop anchor someplace nice where you don't have to pack your stuff and move every few nights, your plan will be what you hope for. I can't see any particular advantage to one park before the other unless you are flying into an airport nearer one than the other.</p>

<p>Zvia, here is a similar link that you might want to check out. <strong>''I have 5 days to visit Grand Teton and Yellowstone'' </strong>http://www.photo.net/travel-photography-forum/00X8Uy<br>

Golf???? Golf???? LOL..... Let hubby play golf, while you tour the Tetons. Bring a couple of memory cards and that way you have an excuse to make it a photo safari. You are going to be in one of the most scenic areas of the USA!<br>

I went in May of this year and by doing that I beat the crowds and room rates were much better. But chances for snow and cold were probably more. I saw snow and cold but also had some nice days. My main destination was the Tetons but I enjoyed Yellowstone more. Other folks like the Tetons more. I saw more wildlife and sight to see at Yellowstone. JH had many more rooms. Some are not even listed online or in the brochures. Not sure of your traveling style, but I travel on the cheap so I can stay longer. Cooler full of food and drink and my own sandwiches much of the time. Many great places for a picnic:) Motel 6 and Super 8 at JH were best price I could find and both just remodeled.One thing about going in May, there is a road that leads directly from JH to Yellowstone. It did not open until around the second week of May, so when I first left JH to head for Yellowstone I had to take a big detour. After I finished up with Yellowstone the road had just opened, so I took it back to JH and it was well worth it time wise and there was a lake with lots of huge rocks and old trees along the shoreline with mountain backdrop, plus lots of colorful small rocks along the beach. I wish I would of known of this area earlier in my trip. Bring layered clothing, winter coat. My rain boots came in handy for the streams and muck. I also replaced my nice car mats with with carpet remnants for the trip. Lots of mud and dirt if you get on the trails. ENJOY!!! I want to go back, but it was a 6000 mile trip last time. I drove a southern route across the states from FL and then came back by a northern route on my way back. America The Beautiful!</p>

<p>Thanks for the input. Here's the itinerary as it stands:<br>

Day 1. Fly into JH and drive to Yellowstone. <br>

Day 2. Mammoth Hot Springs Area<br>

Day 3. Canyon/Lower/Upper Falls<br>

Day 4. Upper/Midway/Lower Geyser Basins<br>

Day 5. Sunrise photography. AM Tetons hike. PM White Water Raft<br>

Day 6. Eco Wildlife Tour. Evening Rodeo<br>

Day 7. Sunrise photography/Drive to Yellowstone. Husband to play golf.<br>

Day 8. Jenny Lake/Cascade Canyon hike<br>

Day 9. AM Tetons float. Husband to play golf....any safe afternoon hiking for one???<br>

Day 10. Sunrise photography. Airport by 1pm</p>

<p>As the weather is not going be much warmer in Yellowstone on Days 1-3 vs. 6-9, we'll do Yellowstone first.</p>

<p>Bob: Unfortunately, I know there will be crowds in June. I'm hoping that those crowds are like the ones we encountered in the Smokey's and elsewhere.....they enjoy their huge breakfast first and don't get anywhere until 10am (when we're 1/2 way through our hike already); and they only hike a mile or two then turn back (we like to hike 5-10+ miles). Also, we're staying at a b&b a few miles outside JH/Teton village. It's on a few acres with only 5 rooms, so hopefully will offer some reprieve from the crowds.<br>

Any suggestions, ideas, comments etc to improve the itinerary would be great. <br>

Thanks again!</p>

<p>Other than a weak memory from two trips to the area, one in October, one in May/June, my thoughts are that the more steam, the better on the geysers, so cooler is better. But in June, I doubt you'd have significant differences over a week or so unless there was some late storm which you can't plan for in any case.<br>

I'd agree there are likely to be fewer early risers. I'd expect both parks will have a "guide" of some sort listing planned ranger led activities. If one of these activities is at or near the same place/time you'd want to shoot something, I'd suggest planning to get there early to stake out a good spot as well as to account for any parking or other crowd details. We were just at Yosemite and even off season (after Labor Day), the Glacier Point area was swamped by people at sunset. Some came for the program, others for the photo opportunity. we happened into the area early, planning to grill a picnic dinner and found they'd removed the picnic tables from the area we'd planned on using but that people were arriving two hours before sunset to stake out spots to sit/place tripods, etc.</p>

<p>Zvia - I have been to Yellowstone several times and Jackson Hole three times in June as well as in February. I was last in Yellowstone in June of 2009. Crowds should not be much of an issue - families don't seem to get out until late June with July 4 being the opening of the flood gates.<br>

I would like to advise you of the vast distances in Yellowstone National Park. I stayed in West Yellstone and for a 5 day stay, I put over 1,200 miles on the rental car. You will not be going, or you should not be going 60 or 70 mph in the park. You will subjected to travel delays due to road work. You will subjected to travel delays due to animals on the roads. You will be subject to travel delays due to other vehicles slowing down and stopping to view the sights. So averaging 200 or 250 miles a day represents 12 to 14 hour days. If this is your first trip to the park, I suspect that you will be driving less as you spend more time sightseeing. It is all well worth it. However you need to take this into consideration in planning your day and developing your expectations for each day.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input Allen. I'm hoping I haven't planned too much into that few days in Yellowstone. Let me know if you think I have.<br>

Day 1. Arrive in JH at 12:30pm. Drive to Canyon District , check into Lodge. Drive around Norris, Madison and Canyon. Overnight at Canyon Lodge.<br>

Day 2. Head out very early for Mammoth area. Drive around Swan Lake Flats/Willow Park for wildlife. Try to get photo reflection of Electric Peak in Swan Lake at Swan Lake Flats. Explore upper terraces, hot springs and Orange Spring Mound. Drive back to Canyon by 3pm to visit Inspiration Point and/or Lookout Point, Cascade Overlook Trail. Overnight at Canyon Lodge.<br>

Day 3. Early morning shots of Artist Point...I read in a photo book of Yellowstone that a rainbow usually appears in summer between 9:30 and 10am at Artist Point, and at 9am from Uncle Tom's overlook. Not sure if I can get both, but may try. Drive to Old Faithful Inn, and follow geyser schedule to try and get erupting geyser photos. Also visit Grand Prismatic, Morning Glory, Biscuit and Black Sand basins. Afternoon/evening looking for Castle, Grand, Riverside Geyser eruptions.<br>

Day 4. Follow day's geyser schedule and visit pools again....hoping one out of the two days the weather will cooperate for nice pool colors and geyser eruptions. Drive to JH in late afternoon.<br>

Do you think the above schedule is doable? Or too much travel?<br>

Thanks again!</p>

<p>Zvia - My compliments on doing some research and planning before asking for advice.<br>

Day 1 - You will arrive late in the afternoon to Canyon Village. You most likely not get out of the airport until 1:30 P.M. with baggage claim and car rental activities. It is about two hours from Jackson Hole to Canyon without stopping - that would put you into Canyon around 3:30 P.M. You will have time to drive to Norris, and Madison since it remains light quite late in June. Best chances to see wildlife is early morning and evenings although buffalo and elk will be seen all day long.<br>

Day 2 - I would that you leave early (i.e. sunrise or a little earlier) and take Dunraven Pass road out to Mammoth Area - There should be opportunities to see grizzlies there (no promise). It will be a busy day - if you could a side excursion to the Lamar Vally is recommended - black bear, bison, grizzly, wolf, coyote, elk sighting opportunities. Return to Canyon using the other west road of the loop to Norris and then to Canyon.<br>

Day 3 - No problem - should be a great day of sights<br>

Day 4 - No problem<br>

Your itinerary is realistic. It should be a memorable trip.</p>

<p>Any chance you could arrive a few days earlier? On the morning of the 17th, you can catch the moon setting over the Tetons, with dawn sunlight illuminating the mountains from behind. Weather permitting, it would make a killer shot. <br><br>

<a href="http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=220&month=6&year=2011&obj=moon&afl=-11&day=1">http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=220&month=6&year=2011&obj=moon&afl=-11&day=1</a><br>

<br><br>

With the morning Moon still in mind, I'd be tempted to hit Yellowstone first. The thermal areas can be amazingly pretty in the dawn light. The sooner you get there, the larger the moon will be, and the lower on the horizon it will occur.</p>