RB67 Pro-S backs?

frank_major

<p>I just bought a RB67 Pro-S back on the big auction site that was advertised as still functioning and the pics looked great (Seller rating 100%). I'm aware that i'll probably need to change the light seals - no problem there i have plenty of material.</p>

<p>However, i am wondering what other potential problems i may encounter with a back? Are these things reasonably serviceable as is much of the rest of the system?</p>

<p>I just had to send two of those backs in for service, not only were the light seals shot but the backs were mechanically in poor condition, overlapping frames, locking up when winding on, etc. Cost about US$100 per back to get them overhauled and new light seals. Haven't run any film through them yet but looking promising</p>

<p>Out of 14 backs I have, 2 are non Pro-S, 11 are Pro-S and one an SD back. Over the years I've owned them (ranging from a few years to 20), the Pro-S backs have proven very reliable, much more so than my A12/24 Hassy backs. Obviously light seals deteriorate, but if they're stored in a clean environment and treated well, they will last a long time. Overlapping frames and locking up are typical issues when the backs have gotten crud in the gearworks, or the lubricants have dried up. The worst thing you can do is not use them, and many of the ebay backs have been sitting for years. I'd suggest buying from KEH if you can, and testing when you get it (frame spacing can be tested with a scrap roll and a marker or pencil, no need to process film)</p>