Nikon Announces D7000 DSLR, 35mm/f1.4 AF-S, 200mm/f2 AF-S VR2, and SB-700 Flash

ShunCheung

<blockquote>

<p>Hector, the D7000 has AF fine tune.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks Shun, for answering my question, pointing me to dpreview, and for everything else on this announcement.</p>

<p>On whether Nikon pays attention to online forums, I remember when the D3 and D300 came out, they invited Ellis and Bjorn to Japan for the festivities. Bjorn has his own very visible site, but Ellis, as fine a photographer as he is, was most visible to photographers because of all the teaching he was doing here.</p>

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This great news and a very well spec'd camera. Still, I do not regret recently buying my wife a D90 refurb for her needs.<br>

Very glad to see mirror lock-up, that is my main beef with her d90 as makes it less useful to me for some macro shooting I do. I would miss the AF-On on this camera vs. my D300 and that looks to be about all I would miss which is quite a nice surprise from Nikon. While AE lock can be used as AF-ON, I much prefer having both as exposure lock is a useful tool.<br>

Exciting to see Nikon pushing much further than I expected with the body at this price-point.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I continue to be mystified by the new 200 (which, tellingly, almost nobody on this thread has mentioned they're going to run out and buy, was the old one really in need of an update?) and the price of the new 35mm f1.4, not to mention the recent 85mm f3.5 DX micro, which I understand is languishing on dealer shelves, and the lack of a true wide-angle DX prime lens that so many want... but overall, their improvements to their product line over the past few years seems just as great for us rank amateurs as the pros and wanna-be pros and folks who can buy pro gear even though they don't make money on it</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Peter, the problem with the 200mm is that it's the "same old" lens with nanocoating, VR2, and an additional switch position for AF. Maybe that is the reason why it isn't talked about. On the other hand, that lens is almost apochromatic, actually f/1.86 (t/2!) and the MTF curves point to amazing sharpness. Of course, that was also the case with the old one. Photozone complained about flare issues with the "old" one, so that aspect has possibly improved with the addition of nanocoating. </p>

<p>Sometimes, however, Nikon goes bonkers. The price of the 35mm seems to be one of those cases. That lens costs 5 times the 35mm f/2, and about 400$/€/£ more than the equivalent Canon. And yeah, the 85mm macro seems to be another of those cases. As "big and heavy" as the 60mm f/2.8G, DX only, 2/3 stops slower and, to top it all, almost identical price. I'm sure it's an excellent macro lens, but I have a hard time understanding why a DX budget user would buy that lens when the aperture apparently makes it unsuitable for portraits. This seems to be a common secondary use of macro lenses.</p>

<p>Finally, the exchange rate with both € and £ is a bit on the crook side, even when considering taxes in europe. At least it isn't like HP, who love charging more € than $ for equivalent machines. </p>

<p>Oh, and by the way, does anybody know if the D7000 can use the PC-E lenses with the electronic shutter? I thought those lenses were only compatible with D300(s)/D700/D3(s,x).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Oh, and by the way, does anybody know if the D7000 can use the PC-E lenses with the electronic shutter?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>For that type of details, I guess we'll just have to try it. Since Nikon adds metering with AI/AI-S to the D7000, I would imagine that it can work with PC-E lenses. But again, as far as I am concerned, my 24mm PC-E is not very useful on the D300 (DX format); it is just not wide enough for my typical architecture and landscape work.</p>

<p>Another issue is that I once tried to mount the 24mm PC-E on a D3000, and the viewfinder overhang would block one of the knobs (the one directly facing us in the image below) on the PC-E lens so that you cannot mount it. The D200's viewfinder prevents the full amount of shift movement from the 24mm PC-E. So there are all sorts of issues to check out. I would like to think that Nikon has considered all of those issue when they designed the D7000.</p><div>00XIcP-281391584.jpg.85eb080eae8b2a7a2638c428c2fc1ce6.jpg</div>

<p>It is interesting though, that they left out the articulated screen. After the D5000, I assumed that all of Nikon's '000' level cameras would have one. But I guess until Nikon can speed up shooting in Live View, maybe it doesn't matter as much.</p>

<p>After about a year now with my Sony a500, it would be hard to imagine using a camera <em>without </em>an articulated screen for one main reason - my knees. Anyone who has knee problems knows what a pain it is to constantly go from standing to crouching and back, but with an articulated screen and fast live view shooting, I can 'shoot from the hip' as it were for a different perspective.</p>

<p>Not only that, but I can compose pictures at the ground level, without actually lying on the ground. I can compose from above my head without getting something to stand on. The articulated screen is hugely useful for macro photography - I can put the camera into the middle of a plant, pointed straight down, to take a picture of a flower, without contorting my body and getting my whole head inside the plant to look at the screen/viewfinder. Additionally, I can take self portraits in the mirror without having the camera show up in the picture because it's off to the side and I can see the composition on the tilted screen. If my camera had a video feature, there would be many other uses of the articulated screen when shooting video.</p>

<p>If you've never used a camera that has an articulated screen for an extended period, and you're still poo-pooing it as an 'amateur feature that a pro would never need' or other such dismissals (i'm not saying anyone here is doing this, but IF you are), you need to go out and try it for a while before you knock it. Your knees may thank you for it.</p>

<p>EDIT: also, Nikon lists lens compatibility on their website for the D7000 (I'm not sure what all of these mean exactly - F3AF?)</p>

<ul>

<li>Type G or D AF NIKKOR: All functions supported</li>

<li>IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used</li>

<li>DX AF NIKKOR: All functions possible </li>

<li>AF-NIKKOR for F3AF not supported</li>

<li>Other AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color matrix metering II</li>

<li>AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II</li>

<li>PC Micro-NIKKOR does not support some functions</li>

<li>Non-CPU: Can be used in modes A and M; color matrix metering and aperture value display supported if user provides lens data (AI lenses only) </li>

<li>Electronic rangefinder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster</li>

</ul>

<p>In the 1980's, there was a specific AF version of the F3 body called F3-AF, and Nikon had two AF lenses made specially for the F3-AF: 80mm/f2.8 and 200mm/f3.5. Those two lenses cannot be used on most (all?) other Nikon bodies: <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf3ver2/f3afbasic/index.htm">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf3ver2/f3afbasic/index.htm</a></p>

<p>They are very rare. In fact, I have never seen them myself. Essentially that is an issue 99.999% of us don't need to worry about, but Nikon always has that listed for the sake of completeness.</p>

<p>Peter - I've been specifically waiting for the new 200 f/2. Even more specifically, I've been waiting for it to make the older version slightly cheaper so I can buy one. I can't say I'd hate it if there was a lot of interest from people dumping their old 200s on the market, though.<br>

<br>

As for the AI metering mechanism, it's interesting to see it on a cheaper body, but it's not cheap enough to make it a trivial back-up purchase for me! I'd really like a low-end and light film body with the AI ring and full electronic support; sadly, Nikon never made one, which is why my back-up is an F5. I certainly factor lens compatibility into my purchasing decisions, whatever Nikon thinks, in part because I know I can already use AI lenses on my D700 and F5. (Frankly, if they'd take pre-AI lenses, I'd have some - it's not worth my getting the F5 ring adapted for as long as the D700's can't be, sadly.)</p>

<p>I was happy and thrilled to read Ilkka's comments about manual focus lenses and Nikon's decision to provided the ability to meter with them on the D 7000. My thoughts echo his. Even if it is true what Shun says about their lack of optical quality on a DX sensor, the fact that you already own them and want to use them may override this and other factors. I often use my mf lenses on m D 300 just to slow me down so I forced to think about what I am doing. Yes, I often use my AFS lenses in manual mode for the same reasons. Joe Smith</p>

<p>What's puzzling is Nikon's insistence that the D7000 is not a D90 replacement. Just what does that mean here? Will they release a D90 replacement then? With lower specs to the D7000 but higher specs to the D90? Or will they just end the D90 line without a direct successor?</p>

<p>Or are they just saying this to make sure that their remaining stock of D90s do sell out. Maybe they want to delay the inevitable price-drop they'd have to do on the D90 stock?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What's puzzling is Nikon's insistence that the D7000 is not a D90 replacement. Just what does that mean here? Will they release a D90 replacement then? With lower specs to the D7000 but higher specs to the D90? Or will they just end the D90 line without a direct successor?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I too am curious ... Where will the Nikon mirror-less camera fit in in all of these? The D7000 is more of a traditional Nikon dSLR where one can expect super fast and smooth shooting. It seems that both D7000 and D3100 already out-spec D90 on paper. What Nikon does not have is something similar to the Sony A-55 or Panasonic GH1 that lost weights by either modifying the mirror or getting rid of it all together. Perhaps we will see a D90 "replacement" to lose the mirror as well with much better video capacity than other Nikon cameras and is much lighter than D7000. After all, D90 was the first dSLRs that has video.</p>

<p>Diane, the D7000 is available as body only or with the 18-105mm DX kit lens. Potentially they may add other kit combinations laster on, e.g. with the 18-200 DX, etc. As long as you can buy the body only, it shouldn't be an issue. The problem is with the D3000 before and the D3100, which are only sold with the 18-55mm DX VR kit lens. They don't sell the body alone so that if you don't want the 18-55, it'll be some hassle to either find a dealer who is willing to somehow break up the kit or re-sell the lens to someone else.</p>

<p>Nish, if a camera replaces an older model, the implication is that the old model is immediately discontinued. The specs for the D7000 is a lot stronger than the D90 and is also priced higher. What Nikon is saying is that the D90 is not yet discontinued at this time and continues to occupy the $800 to $1000 space for now. But of course it does not change the fact that the D90 is now a 2+ year old design and if you read this thread, it is clearly surpassed not only by the D7000 but also by a number of new DSLRs from other brands.</p>

<p>Most likely, Nikon will add another model, positioned between the D3100 ($700 w/ the 18-55 kit lens) and D7000 ($1200, body only), at around $800 to $900, and the D90 as well as D5000 will be discontinued. The D90 and D5000 use the same Sony sensor and share a lot of the electronics; Nikon seems to be phasing that out now.</p>

<p>I think that lens compatibility list is not exactly accurate.<br>

I am pretty sure my (non-D) push-pull 80-200 will autofocus on the D7000. Following this list it would fall in the 'other AF Nikkor' category where it says it will not autofocus.</p>

<p>Camera looks like an absolute winner though, love some of the added features and I think a direct comparison to anything else will be decided on handling it and not on specs. I will try at the photokina ;-)<br>

But I think I won't have the budget in the next half year to upgrade.</p>

<p>I think people keep ignoring me when I mention one of the key reasons that AI compatibility aimed at manual focus lenses is there. Video. Higher end manual lenses for video (i.e. Zeiss CP2) need this ability. And with such an emphasis on video in DSLRs now, Nikon would be committing suicide to release their first Pro body that is squarely aimed at other pro bodies used primarily for video without this ability. </p>

<p>And Sjoerd, by my understanding, the screw drive autofocus is there, so you should be fine.</p>

<p>Zach, I am not familiar with the Zeiss cinema lenses, but they are like $3900 each on the average: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682099-REG/Zeiss_1769_403_Compact_Prime_Distagon_35mm_T2_1.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682099-REG/Zeiss_1769_403_Compact_Prime_Distagon_35mm_T2_1.html</a></p>

<p>I kind of doubt that the D7000 is targeted for people who buy $4K Zeiss cinema lenses for the purpose of capturing video. I view the D7000 as a consumer, perhaps higher-end consumer DSLR that also has video capability.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>After about a year now with my Sony a500, it would be hard to imagine using a camera <em>without </em>an articulated screen for one main reason - my knees. Anyone who has knee problems knows what a pain it is to constantly go from standing to crouching and back, but with an articulated screen and fast live view shooting, I can 'shoot from the hip' as it were for a different perspective.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah, I was a bit surprised too. I find it incredibly useful on the D5000, mounted on a tripod low to the ground. Before Live View & Articulated screens, I used to have to sit, squat, sometimes physically lie down in the dirt to compose shots. There's a bunch of pictures that my friend took of me in ridiculous poses, WHILE I took other pictures.</p>

<p>Nikon makes some odd decisions: the D3100 has a cable shutter release, but no wireless shutter release. The D60 has the reverse.</p>

<p>That said, the most disappointing thing for me with the D5000 & D90 is the ISO200 base. Low 1 & Low 2 just didn't cut it for long exposures or shooting with fill flash in bright sunlight. I'm already slapping on ND filters at ISO 100 to slow things down on other cameras.</p>

<p>I'm very pleased to see base ISO's returning to 100 while high ISO capability is retained... this is by far the biggest perk in the D7000/D3100 for me.</p>

<p>Shun, you sure on that one? I hear of people using those kinds of lenses with 7D and 5DmkII, so if this camera captures video as well as those two, why wouldn't they?</p>

<p>It sounds like Nikon might be better in the case of rolling shutter/jello issues, by my understanding.</p>

<p>But the CP2 aside, they could still be using the more consumer friendly Zeiss lenses that breath better than 99% of the zooms on the market.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I was happy and thrilled to read Ilkka's comments about manual focus lenses and Nikon's decision to provided the ability to meter with them on the D 7000. My thoughts echo his. Even if it is true what Shun says about their lack of optical quality on a DX sensor, the fact that you already own them and want to use them may override this and other factors. I often use my mf lenses on m D 300 just to slow me down so I forced to think about what I am doing. Yes, I often use my AFS lenses in manual mode for the same reasons. Joe Smith</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, Shun did not say that ALL MF lenses lacked optical quality on a DX sensor, but some certainly do. Heck many AF-D and AFS lenses lack optical quality on a DX sensor. It's really on a lens-by-lens basis independent from if it's a MF lens or not. I have some AI and AIS lenses that still need more sensor resolution than my D300 can provide.</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>Sjoerd,</p>

<p>If you're talking about this...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Other AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color matrix metering II</p>

</blockquote>

<p>... looks like a mis-print to me. Perhaps not? I don't own any non-D AF lenses... Don't they AF just fine with any screwdriver-equipped Nikon body?</p>

<p>Nice to see Nikon still supporting AI lenses, but I SURE wish they'd go ahead and move that support down into a lower price bracket. My dream dSLR would still be something approximately as capable (and as lowcost) as my old D50, with AI metering. And no a D40/D3100/D5000 wouldn't cut it 'cause they don't have a focus motor, which means my AF-D lenses wouldn't be AF'ing :).</p>

<p>I hope people realize that any product design involves a lot of trade offs. I would imagine that the complex mechanism to add metering with AI/AI-S lense easily adds $50 to the cost of the D7000, perhaps $100. That is a choice I wouldn't have made; if the D7000 were $1100 instead of $1200, it would have been even more competitive on the market.</p>

<p>The same is true for the swivel screen. That kind of screen will take up more room on the back, e.g. the D5000 has a 2.7" LCD instead of 3" on the D3000 and D90. Moreover, there has to be a hinge somewhere. Take a look at this image on DPReview.com about the back side of the new Canon 60D: <a href="http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/CanonEOS60D/images/backclosed.jpg">http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/CanonEOS60D/images/backclosed.jpg</a><br />You'll notice that there are very few buttons because there is simply no room for them, especially to the left of the LCD. I am sure a lot of controls have to go to the menu, making the camera harder to use.</p>

<p>For comparison, you'll find an image of the back side of the D7000 here: <a href="http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/11627066-lg.jpg">http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/11627066-lg.jpg</a></p>

<p>If you don't like the way Nikon designs the D7000, there are many other choices out there.</p>