Stolen D700. Replace? Lens?

billfoster

<p>So, shortly (one day actually) after reading that horrible, horrible post about the poor fellow who had his D700 stolen out of his bag in London, the exact same thing happened to me in New Orleans. I lost a D700 with a 24-70 f2.8 on it. The worst thing, I really have NO idea how they got it. I went to get my car (every damn hotel in NOLA is valet parking) and had to wait about 20 min. I set the bag about three feet behind me against the wall (around 1030 AM). While waiting, I talked to a couple people (guests - don't think anyone was an accomplice and I started the conversations not them) but I kept a close eye on it, I thought. I put the bag in the trunk when my car arrived. I then went to the city park and ran five miles, ate lunch and came back without using the camera (I had thought about driving somewhere to shoot but changed my mind). I grabbed bag out of trunk and went to room. As I threw it on bed, I noticed it was half-unzipped and camera was gone. The only possibilities seem to be that (a) someone took it out of the hotel the night before. I don't think this coulb be the case as I hope I would have noticed the half open bag. Furthermore, the do not disturb sign was up and the hotel says no cleaning people came in. Nothing else was disturbed, including computer and iPad in a separate bag and the 70-200 and two flashes that were in the bag. that leaves, (b) someone took it out of my trunk without leaving a sign (I am sure car was locked and why wouldn't they take whole bag, it would look much less suspicious) or © they got it off the ground from behind me, which would explain why bag was half open, but I was watching close. If they did it, it was some serious ninja work. I am so very angry at myself for not purchasing insurance and not keeping an even closer eye on it. Especially, when I JUST read that it happened to someone else. However, the worst thing is not knowing how it happened. It's making me crazy.

<p>In any case, here is my dilemma. I shoot travel pictures, which you can see here, and, recently, a lot of shots of local musicians in small clubs. That's my current passion. I will post one example in a moment. With the D700, I was able to get acceptable results at ISO 5000 with no flash. Perhaps not publication worthy, but certainly adequate for my uses. I want to replace my camera ASAP (there is a big music festival this weekend in Bristol, TN), but I am willing to wait some time if I am going to get something better. Nikon Rumors has what appears to be fairly valid info about a new D-7000 that will be announced tonight. I know it's speculation, but what I want to know is this: is there any chance that the high ISO performance of a 16MP DX sensor can approach that of an FX like the D700? I know that the D700 will certainly be replaced one day, but I loved it as a camera and I am not willing to go six months without a camera. However, if there is a chance that this new model can approach it (at $1000 less - this loss was a pretty big financial low so that would be nice), than I would be willing to wait till October.

<p>Also, if I do replace the D700, I have to replace the 24-70 also. I don't want to spend that much, but I don't want to compromise too much as I loved that lens. Are there any cheaper lenses that are adequate?

<p>Also, if anyone has any suggestions about where to purchase insurance for my new rig, I'd love to hear it.

<p>thanks everyone!

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

<p>Bill, I often see threads on the Canon EOS forum about stolen equipment, and I advise the posters to contact Canon to report the camera stolen. They can put that info in their service records. Sometimes if someone is considering buying a high dollar camera, they will call the S/N in to Canon to inquire about the service record, and Canon will often have information that they can share without violating convidentiality. I imagine Nikon can do the same thing. Maybe they can make a notation that there is a reward for info leading to a recovery of the camera.</p>

<p> Bill, sorry about the theft. Did you check with your homeowner/renter insurance policy to see if your loss would be covered? Some policies do not require a rider for personal cameras etc. I know a guy who just had his 5DMII stolen and he was covered even though he initially didn't think he was. </p>

<p>Home owners insurance covers it. It depends what deductible one has taken. Some stole my lap top that is few years ago and my deductible was 100 they paid me to buy equivalent laptop and I had to just send receipt to them. They did not care what brand I bought as long it had same hardware profile.<br>

I don't know if that also works for professional photographer? </p>