Been asked to shoot sports figure ....

finn1

<p>My friends sister has asked me if I was interested in taking photos at a Store where there is going to be a Canadian Olympian, the first one to win Gold I believe at the last Olympics in Vancouver. Someone is suppose to get in touch with me for a quote, not too sure what to do there either, it is possible I may not get it, but would like to be prepared if I do. It is going to end up in a Magazine or newspaper not too sure yet. What about images? do I burn him a CD after with edited images? Anyway was wondering if I should rent a flash and maybe a Canon 28-70 2.8,it will be in a store indoors, its a promotion thing for cosmetics and signing thing. I have a Canon 20D with a crappy zoom and a 50mm 1.4. I have lots of CF cards and batteries</p>

<p>Is this a commercial shoot? Is someone hiring you (or looking to hire you) for this shot? What is the intended usage of the resulting image(s)?</p>

<p>We need a lot more information prior to offering any useful advice. For example, you could quote based on the time you think you'll spend shooting and post-processing those images. Alternatively you could quote based on perceived/ expected/ projected usage of the resulting images. And so on and so forth. The options are limitless really and depend on how you intend to approach the shoot, now and in the future.</p>

<p>Second, your equipment is nowhere near sufficient to take that shot - at least if you want to make something that'll be worthy, not of Sports Illustrated, but of the average sports magazine out there. Not only do you need better glass, but you need LIGHTS. And that's plural. You need lights AND the ability, knowledge and expertise to command and set them up. You simply cannot do that with a single flash you will hire for the day. If you do, chances are the images will look pretty much like snapshots and I don't know of a magazine which would accept those.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>We need a lot more information prior to offering any useful advice</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That has to be the understatement of the year. ;)</p>

<p>Greg; to coin a old cliche', you are getting the cart before the horse.</p>

<p>Your equipment question pales in comparison to the possibility of what appears to be a assignment shoot.</p>

<p>If you don't know where the image will ultimately land, mag or newspaper, how can anyone quote fees you should charge?<br>

I would venture a guess that this Olympian medalist has some commercial value to someone.</p>

<p>WHO is the end user?<br>

WHAT exactly are you photographing? Saying "a Olympian" really is not an answer.<br>

WHERE are the images to be used; quantity, quality, media?</p>

<p>Many people here enjoy helping, but w/o more detailed info, this question is impossible to answer with credible advice.</p>

<p>I think its for the first Canadian woman to win gold on Canadian soil ,snowboarder I think. Anyway someone is suppose to get in touch with me, then I can ask the questions of where are the images going to be used, magazine paper etc. They just want candid shots, and arent concerned with lighting set ups. So is it not possible to pull it off with a Canon 20D with a 24-70 2.8 and flash ?</p>

<p>If you aren't going to follow the advice above, then....<br>

I would opt for a minimum two flash guns, flash gun stands w/ mini softboxes, and a reflector on standby. I would try to do this shot with a friend as the model prior to the shoot. This way you could run the setup and see what yields the best results. This would be the cheapest way to yield half decent results (IMO). I would imagine you would want to avoid disturbing shadows in the background and the above mentioned set up can achieve that if you do your homework. They will need to be triggered wirelessy if possible.<br>

If they wanted Candid shots of a Gold Medalist Olympian, they would just use their own point & shoot cam.<br>

Good luck if you get the shoot, just do your homework first.</p>

<p>Amen and 2nd what Jeff said - You really don't get a second chance to make a 1st impression. </p>

<p>You show up to take candid photos of an Olympic Athlete without a plan and the right equipment - they'll know you are a rookie from the get go.</p>

<p>Is it possible to pull off with a 20d 24-70 f2.8 and a flash - yes - but you really need to know the setup, the plan for the photos and the expectations of the photos. Do they really want candids that look like snapshots or do they want "Candids" that look professional but not posed? There is a huge difference...</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>No one has contacted me yet to tell me anything about it, and I am kinda relieved. It is a big jump seeing I haven't even done a paid shoot or wedding or anything really. I would have to rent the flash and haven't even done that yet since they haven't called. Just wondering if its just for a small circulation paper like a Town Crier or something, I could consider it, but who knows. Might stick with sports stuff for now.</p>