Upgrading from Xti advice

levon_monte

<p>I currently have a Canon Xti that I feel I've outgrown. I'm interested in achieving higher usable ISO (1600/3200) for low lighting and more accurate colors with deeper contrast. Ideally I'd buy the 5D Mark II, but it's outta my price range. The new T2i seems like a reasonable step up with it's claimed high ISO resolution quality, anything over 400 ISO on my Xti is iffy as far as print quality. The new D60 looks like it might be a good option now as well. I do not shoot in RAW since I use Win7 64-bit and there's no Canon codec for it. Is it worth it to upgrade to the T2i or D60 for Jpeg or just get a nice new f/2.8 lens and stick with the Xti? I am an enthusiast that does portraits once in a while, but definitely not looking to shoot weddings or anything like that. Looking to spend around $1,000. Thanks,</p>

<p>I agree with Allan on the 5D. I upraded from the XTI last year and couldn't be happier. Remember though to sell all you EF-S glass along with your XTI as you probably already know the 5D will only take EF glass. Also the 5D has no wireless remote option as your XTI but at least you get to keep you CF cards.</p>

<p>By the way I use Win 7 64bit and have no problems with RAW files of my 5D using Photoshop or DPP. If you need to control noise you might want to reconsider the use of RAW, much easier to edit and to control noise in DPP. Even without Noiseware.<br>

Have fun</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I do not shoot in RAW since I use Win7 64-bit and there's no Canon codec for it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Or possibly because you do not know much about "codecs", operating systems and alternatives.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>i just have the kit 18-55 IS and 50mm f/1.8, nothing special. I'd really like a new body</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Think Levon: You have about €100-120 worth of lenses and lust after a body that costs €2000 and are willing to spend $1000...?! Getting a couple of fast primes will fastly improve the low light performance of your kit. Even the 5D-II shows noise from ISO 800 on which gets quite ugly when you go higher. Post-processing is the key to reducing noise. Or you could switch systems to Pentax with its built-in camera stabilization and fast primes, which allows you to shoot slow shutter speeds at lower ISO with good results.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm interested in [...] more accurate colors with deeper contrast.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Again, this is your responsibility in post-processing. Use the in-camera options and custom parameters (and correct white balance) to get the best starting point if you shoot JPEG, but anything else is done later.</p>

<p>There is nothing really wrong with upgrading your camera and lenses if you as a photographer feel that they limit your skills and possibilities (and I despise entry-level cameras like the Rebels with a passion). But don't expect that simply changing camera bodies will improve your photography or magically give you vastly better image results.</p>

<p>If you are used to and like the XTi user interface, then a newer "Rebel" is a natural upgrade.</p>

<p>Many of us prefer the xxD and xD series control system, so there even a 50D would be good. A used 5D is also an option, but you can't use any EF-S lenses you may have on it, and you do lose the 1.6X "bump" on telephotos. On the other hand, you gain at the wide end, so....</p>

<p>Mark didn't mean to come across that way, thought he missed that part. Even so, I can't afford the body at $1000 used since I'll need to upgrade to EF lenses for the body as well...</p>

<p>Henrik, I really want lightroom 3, maybe i'll go that route and start shooting RAW...</p>

<p>Hal, the issue I have with win7 is I want to be able to view my RAW photos in the windows viewer and pictures folder when I put them into my PC from camera. Is there a codec so win7 can display RAW photos for browsing? Do I just need to import my RAW photos from camera directly with a RAW software program, and then convert them to be saved onto my PC? I could get Lightroom and process all RAW images through there I guess, I only have elements 5 right now. So when I edited my RAW images, they get saved as TIFF on my PC correct? I wish I had DPP, but can't since I don't have a 1D serial #.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There are Microsoft thumbnailers for Explorer. I installed one when it first came out. Screwed up my system bigtime. So I uninstalled it.</p>

<p>Adobe Bridge should be included with your copy of PS Elements. Use it instead of MS Explorer. If you can't see thumbnails in Bridge then you may need to upgrade Elements. Or get LR3 and you're golden.</p>

<p>Your camera should have come with DPP. If you lost the disk then you can download it from Canon for free. Not sure how it works in Windows 7. I'm running Vista 64 bit. I know that you can tell Windows what operating system the software was designed for. Find the executable, right-click and go into properties.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>[[i wish I had DPP, but can't since I don't have a 1D serial #.]]</p>

<p>You don't need a serial number from a 1D.<br>

DPP came with your XSi. If you lost the disk you can either edit the registry and install the downloaded updated version of DPP or download the 1.0 version and upgrade with the downloaded updates.</p>

<p>http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/install_canon_software.html</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>Hal, the issue I have with win7 is I want to be able to view my RAW <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00XHvz?start=10" target="_blank">photos</a> in the windows viewer and pictures folder when I put them into my PC from <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00XHvz?start=10" target="_blank">camera</a>. Is there a codec so win7 can display RAW photos for browsing?</em></p>

<p>I believe you could use Picasa (free download from Google) as a RAW viewer. Download using Picasa and do your editing in the software of your choice. I don't normally use Picasa but I can view 5Dmk2 RAW files with it.<em><br /></em></p>

<p>not too happy with DPP, not enough editing options as in corel and cropping is a pain. Hal, where is the noise reduction in DPP? Couldn't find it, have version 2.2 thanks. probably going to get lightroom 3 as my raw converter, especially for the noise reduction and organization or photos.</p>

<p>so is the consensus that I should buy better glass, not a body and shoot in RAW with my xti and use editing software like lightroom 3 to correct noise? Does anyone have any different advice? Thanks...</p>

<p>Levon:First upgrade DPP from version 2.2, it's free. <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/digital_rebel_xti#DriversAndSoftware">http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/digital_rebel_xti#DriversAndSoftware</a><br>

Once upgraded open any raw file in DPP you like to edit, right click you mouse and select "tool palette" , then select the tab that says "NR/Lens/Alo" . Next click on NR Preview. Now you can reduce noise using the top slider. The preview should give you a 100% view of your image. Once you like what you see click Apply. The lower slider is only useful in certain situations with color fringing.<br>

In my opinion it's the easiest way to reduce noise.</p>

<p>[[Does anyone have any different advice?]]</p>

<p>My honest opinion: I would not purchase anything, glass or software, until you have a better understanding of your existing tools. Update DPP, learn more about what shooting RAW means (there is a learning curve there) and then re-evaluate your needs. You may find that you have a much clearer idea of what you need to purchase, rather than a stab in the dark and hoping for something.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Levon, You can't really say you've outgrown the XTi if you have shot in RAW and are only using the kit lens. Try using your 50mm 1.8F a bit more, you'll be surprised at what it can do. Then see what direction you want to go to purchase lenses, based on what YOU use more for YOUR type of photography. <br>

Don't invest in a better camera if you don't have good lenses to use it with.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>not too happy with DPP, not enough editing options as in corel and cropping is a pain. Hal, where is the noise reduction in DPP? Couldn't find it, have version 2.2 thanks. probably going to get lightroom 3 as my raw converter, especially for the noise reduction and organization or photos.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Levon, you don't have to do everything with the same application. Use DPP to convert your RAW files to 16 bit TIF files, open the TIF files in Corel, and then use the Corel to do everything you didn't do in DPP.</p>

<p>I agree with others who urge you to learn the tools you've got before deciding to upgrade equipment, my previous recommendation to the contrary.</p>

<p>thanks Hal, got it, i'll start playing around with the NR.</p>

<p>thanks everyone, i think i'll shoot more raw and use DPP some more for raw editing.</p>

<p>anyone have experience with lightroom 3? i read great reviews and probably will go that route, for raw editing and the organization ability. i don't think i wanna go full photoshop, won't need that much editing.i think that will be my first purchase that would be of great use right now.</p>

<p>I'll probably save for an L series lens that'll give me better shots.</p>

<p>Sarah, thanks, I'll try that as well, version 3.8 of DPP has decent editing, for what i do.</p>

Levon, based on your recent postings to this thread, I too would advocate you spend more time learning the back end of the process. Additional lenses, L or otherwise, or even another body, will not significantly help you if you don't get to grips with the post-processing. The XTi is a sturdy and capable camera. I cut my digital teeth on it (it's now my wife's). Used right, it can yield great results, even at higher ISOs.

<p>As for LR, I tried LR1 and was hoked ever since. Now I don't even bother to touch DPP. In fact I uninstalled it from my machine. I do 80-90% of my post processing in LR3. The other 10% in CS5.

<p>Don't underestimate the capabilities of your 'humble' lenses... Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 Kit Lens and Canon EF 50mm f1.8