Family Portrait request - help please

r._bond

<p>

<p>Hi all. My neighbors have asked me to take some outdoor family portraits. We are waiting until the weather gets a little cooler - which will probably be in a few weeks, so I have a little time to prepare. I am no professional, but enjoy photography as a hobby. I have never taken any formal portraits and especially not of an entire family (they have 3 children). I was hoping to get some advice as to what equipment you suggest I use and/or any other advice you can provide (lighting, settings, time of day, etc.). Currently, my equipment includes a Nikon D90, 50 mm 1.4, 35 mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro (which I heard can be good for portraits), and a 70-300 4.5 (I think) non VR. If there are any other lenses you would recommend for this situation, please let me know, as I have a few friends I could borrow some lenses from (and I am also looking into replacing my 70-300 for a faster zoom- so suggestions here as well would be appreciated). Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.</p>

</p>

You're just fine on lenses, so this is all about time of day, light, composition, and your rapport with the family. Do you

already know where you'll be shooting? You have the good luck to be able to scout the light in advance and see what

time of day the light is doing what. Depending on the working distance you have either of those prime lenses would be my

choices. Shoot stopped down enough to get good working DoF, but mind the background! Don't stop down so much that a

busy background is too in-focus.

Do you have a speedlight, like an SB600?

<p>I'd shoot them in the shade with a dark (shrubs) background. And use a "kiss" (about 1 stop above the ambient) of flash to open their faces and eyes. Posing? The old wedding group technique: Seat (in as many chairs as needed)the adult women, with their spouses standing behind, and kneel and seat the kiddies in front. For just a couple, I'd seat both of them and gather the kids around.</p>

<p>Always trying for a symmetrical, balanced grouping. You might suggest subdued clothing choices too. Similar Earth toned garments (no loud colors or prints). And avoid white or black clothing.</p>

<p>Use a tripod if you have one.This way you bring the subjects into frame, and build the picture from a constant vantage point. This can't be stressed enough. This will make the shot much easier.</p>

<p>The camera should be at the eye level of the seated subjects. If you have room, it is best to use the longest lens you have rather than the shortest. Wide angles, can distort, and widen people. (Never wider than 35MM in full frame.) Hope this helps.</p>

<p>I assume you are a good cropper/composer and theefore see only one main issue to consider. Yes shadows/time of day but you have to deal with that as dealt. Let the family decide the setting time of day etc.<br>

The issue is do you or do you not want the back ground in focus. Actually shoot both and then they have choices.<br>

You need to understand your equipment performance. Just go out today or whenever and take test shots. Stick a broom handle in the earth and focus on the broom. Play around with the lenses and apertures to learn how to be in total command the depth of field issue. Your 50mm and 35mm are probably going to be your best DOF/Bokeh lenses http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm<br>

You have way more than enough equipment to do this.</p>

<p>I shoot in continuous auto focus mode for family portraits. With kids I lay the shutter pretty hard. Make sure to get an individual shot of mom & dad together, a shot of just the kids and a shot of each child individually. I also shoot mine an hour to hour and a half before sunset or I shoot 100% shade & use my flash for fill light.<br>

I don't think you should replace the lens (get rid of it by any means) I use my 70-300 A LOT for weddings so please don't trash that one, I love the focal point it gives me. I shoot on AV mode with the zoom 300mm for the individual kids (this helps also to get them in sniper mode when they are just playing and don't want to play the "cheese" game with you) with an F2.0 or lower.<br>

How old are the kids? Feather dusters and fruit snacks go a long way :) I don't whip out the camera infront of the kids until I've warmed them up to me for about 5-10 minutes.<br>

I'd keep going but then I'd have to have it published in book form ;) message me if any questions.</p>