Card failure or Camera Failure

evilsivan

<p>Hi All<br>

I went shooting yesterday and I had two .nef files so corrupted that they would not open (message: "unexpected EOF [end of file]" and three pictures turned out like this with weird noise on the side.<br>

DSC_6678

<p>Does anyone know how to see if its the memory card or the camera? Its a D80 with probably close to 50k exposures on it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The last time you formatted that card, did you format it in your D80? I have seen that happened to some Nikon DSLR and a card that is formatted a little different. Everything would be ok until you get enough files on the card and your new pictures will be like that. I believe that is because Nikon DSLR OS is less robust and require strictly compatible formatted cards</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Try using Dr. Chung's Preview Extractor to pull the embedded jpeg out of the NEF. (This might work even on the corrupted NEFs) If the embedded jpeg previews are intact, that means the camera must have cleanly pulled the raw info off the sensor and successfully processed it to make those complete jpegs. And the issue most likely is something to do with the card or battery.</p>

<p>I'm going to guess it's a battery issue. If this happens when taking multiple shots, that might be putting an increased strain on the battery? Is your battery two or three years old? Despite all their other advantages, lithium ion batteries sometimes get tired after two or three years whether you use them or not.</p>

<p> </p>