D300 focus issue

jerry_milroy

<p>You need to put your lens right up against the net and insure that there is no part of the net crossing the lens, or at least not near the center of the lens. If you try to take a shot and the camera mis-focuses, move the net slightly until you find a configuration that works.</p>

<p>Agree with Kevin. The ball is capable of smashing the camera into your face. Is this just for fun or during team practice? Just in case your practicing for a real game, you might want to check with coaches, referees or sponsors about access. I have shot a few local games as well as SEC college games. During the college games they did not allow me to stand behind the net during the game. One college photographer had a camera w/some type of remote device set up by the net. I can't remember if it was behind the net of just to the side. They have allowed me to get kind of close to the side of the net at times but usually I have to shoot from the corner or sidelines. Some refs will make you stand back from the sideline because they are always running back and forth. You don't want to upset those guys. Sometimes it seems like they stand between you and the action on purpose:)</p>

<p>@ Kevin The only way to shoot a moving subject accurately through a goal net with AF is to insure the net is not blocking the lens. And the only way to do that is to be right up against it.</p>

<p> I have to assume this is youth soccer as I don't think a referee would allow anyone to shoot from behind the net otherwise. Keep in mind that the ball can hit a photographer on the sidelines too!</p>

<p>Great shots sometimes need to be 'earned' and there can be a little bit of danger/excitement involved. I guess the OP should give up his photographic ambitions for a great shot from behind the goal net and sit in the stands. And they should put a net up in front of the stands just in case a ball is kicked off the field.</p>

<p>To the OP - what age group are you shooting?</p>