cleaning lens with alcohol - still leaves smudges?

john_lee48

<p>I've been cleaning my front element with medical-grade alcohol - applying it with a finger, letting it largely evaporate, then wiping with a microfibre cloth (sometimes after breathing on the lens first). I find this still leaves smudges, is there something in the above procedure that's causing this?</p>

<p>John,<br />Start wiping with the cloth as it is evaporating, and continue wiping and turning the cloth until all the residue is gone.<br>

I use a blower to blow any dust and particles off first.<br>

I personally don't use any type of fluids very often, but when I do, I use a product called Lens Clears that I got from an Optometrist office. (I'm an eyeglass wearer also) It can be purchased as a liquid form or in individually packaged "lens wipes." They work very well and I keep several packages with my gear.<br />I've also used some other brands of individual pre packaged Lens wipes found in most Pharmacy's like Walgreens or the Pharmacy areas of some of the major Retailer's like Wallyworld or Target.<br />Just curious, . . . but why do you apply with your finger instead of putting a drop or two on the lens/microfiber cloth?<br />You may be getting some residue from using your finger directly.</p>

<p>Hope this helps,</p>

<p>I like a product I buy at my local camera store .. ROR (residual oil remover); 2 ounces - $8. It is marketed for camera lenses, microcopes, bnoculars, scanners, flat screen TVs, monitors, eyeglasses, CD, DVDs .. and says it is completely safe for multi-coated lenses. I spray it on a microfiber lens cloth and it does a good job. I have heard that alcohol may contain things that is not good for lenses .. I don't know .. but ROR works well for me.</p>

<p>Here is the msds for ROR, a little ammonia, soap, water and alcohol.</p>

<p>http://www.bluelakeproducts.com/DOCUMENTS/ROR_msds.pdf</p>

<p>Edit: Your finger is about the worst applicator you could use, the alcohol removes oil, salts and water from your finger and deposits them on the lens. Kodak/Tiffen make a nice lens cleaning paper, it has worked perfectly for decades, every sheet is clean as well.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Be careful using alcohol on lenses...</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Alcohol is a very benign and mild solvent, and will not damage modern lens multi-coatings. In fact, "<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Pre-Moistened-Lens-Cloths-180ct-Pack/dp/B000J46LZU"><em>Zeiss Lens Cloths</em></a>" are pre-moistened with Isopropyl alcohol and are made specifically for cleaning optics, including Zeiss multi-coated lenses.</p>

<p>It is important however to use pure alcohol, i.e. 99% Isopropyl. Do not use "rubbing alcohol" (usually 70% Isopropyl) as it contains ingredients other than pure alcohol / water which may contaminate the surface of your glass.</p>

<p>I have had good success using pure (i.e. unflavored) vodka. It evaporates much more slowly than 99% isopropyl (mainly because Vodka is up to 60% pure water), allowing you to lift any residue or contaminates from the glass before it flashes off.</p>

<p>Another good product to add to the list is the Nikon branded lens cleaner that I got from B&H a couple years ago. Most likely it is much like some of the other products listed. It came in a large spray bottle but I just pour some into a bottle with a droper. I find that easier to control the amount I put on the lens. </p>

<p>I rather use the packs of deposible lens cleaning cloths instead of microfiber. That way you have a clean cloth every time. I got two packs of 100 back when I got the Nikon cleaner and still have some left. 90% of the time a blower or light brushing with a lens cleaning brush is all that is needed.</p>

<p>Jason</p>

<p>The alcohol still leaves smudges because it is not 100% alcohol. 70% isopropanol is not a good lens cleaning solution for that very reason. What I found best is 100% free and found in unlimited quantities; all you have to do is <em>breathe</em>. Get some soft microfiber cloths and place them in a baggie in your camera bag. Breathe on the lens and gently wipe in circles from the inside out.</p>

if i recall the label (in Chinese) correctly, it is a 95% alcohol solution used for medical purposes.

Instead of my finger, I suppose I could spray it on a microfibre cloth (I carry several) to apply, then just

wash the cloth after each use?

washing microfibre cloths with generic laundry detergent shouldn't create any problems using them on

lenses?

<p>With all due respects to the above advice: <strong>NEVER</strong> touch any lens' surface, coated or not, with your finger! (For any reason! ) You should only touch a lens with lens tissue made for camera optics.<br>

Forget these so called micro fiber cloths or other lens scratching materials. Tissue allows for a new surface against the glass each time. Any re-usable cloth can trap crud and grit and will damage a lens' delicate surface. And certainly <strong>NEVER</strong> use any liquid that isn't specifically made for coated camera optics. This means <strong>camera lens cleaner</strong>. Not Zeiss eye glass cleaning solution, and certainly not any form of alcohol. In fact most multi-coated optical surfaces cannot even tolerate camera lens cleaner. These cleaners will cause swirls, that the well meaning will rub at until the coating is damaged.</p>

<p>If you are careful and use a metal lens hood, the need to remove fingerprints or other smudges should never occur. I have lenses that have never seen any liquids in 30 years of use! I use a small wad of (camera) lens tissue to gently sweep off any dust. And a puff of breath, and lens tissue to remove any small marks.</p>

<p>Be aware that the majority of lens damage occurs by poor cleaning technique. And fingers and alcohol, is about the worst case scenario.</p>

<p>It is potentially harmful to clean lenses too often by wiping. Usually, puffing with a rubber bulb blower is enough. When wiping is necessary, I first remove dust with a blower followed by a soft brush. Breathing open-mouthed on the lens and then wiping is often good enough. If there are stubborn spots, alcohol is good and safe: but the water in vodka, for example, takes time to evaporate and can leave a residue. The trick is to <em>not</em> wait for it to dry.<br>

Two of my digital cameras' lenses recently had immensely stubborn spots which could not be removed with alcohol. In the end I <em>licked</em> their surfaces, wiped, and ended with an alcohol wipe. The spots were gone. I was told about this trick by a member on another photo forum.</p>

<p>Many moons ago (c 1978), I made the mistake of asking my boss at that time (Pete Gibbons, an old school Hollywood cameraman). "How to remove fingerprints from lenses"? He looked at me and said "you keep your g-d damned fingers off the lens, that's how".</p>

<p>In the old days , cameramen would carry their lenses in small velvet bags, inside of large padded cases. The only cleaning these would ever require was from a small camel brush w/ blower bulb. In the unlikely circumstance that a smudge did appear, moist breath, and Kodak brand lens tissues were used.</p>

<p>I still don't recommend any alcohol products. The only safe alcohol is nearly pure. And is not readily available at drug stores etc. These products are extremely volatile / flammable too. But my biggest worry would be if mis-used, the alcohol can undermine the cement that often holds lens elements in place. Not to mention if it migrates into the aperture blades, alcohol can spread lubricants where they don't belong. Plus if I'm not mistaken, some older coatings can be damaged by alcohol or organic solvents.</p>

<p>Non pure isopropyl alcohol contains dyes and other taste-related chemicals to prevent people from drinking it - it's true! Believe it or not, that's the reason. These ingredients, together with the oil transfered from your finger onto the lens are playing havoc with your lenses. I use a soft microfiber cloth (or chamois leather), breathe on the lens and gently (and persistently) wipe it using circular motions until all spots are gone.</p>

<p>I don't sense a consensus on alcohol. I was using it. I am holding off now. I am not sure why, but after a week or so of using my gear (lots of lens changes) I find the lenses to be gunky and I keep cleaning them. No, I am not touching the glass, except if it happens by accident. Yesterday, I accidentally dropped one in the dirt. Well, not so much dirt as pine needles.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Likely your skin oil is being lifted by the alcohol and then being deposited on the lens surface.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly. Alcohol is a solvent, and dissolves skin oils. When it evaporates, it leaves a film of oil that gets smeared when it's wiped. Keep the fingers out of the cleaner and off the lens glass.</p>

<p>Don't know about other brands, but Nikon recommends cleaning lenses with ethanol (ethyl alcohol). I use 200-proof pharmaceutical grade - got a prescription from my doc and filled it at a pharmacy that does compounding...60ml in a glass dropper bottle. I use disposable Pec Pads for cleaning cloth...no worries about grit or other contaminants making it through the wash. I use microfiber strictly for cleaning lens and body flanges and wiping down the outside of the camera and lens.</p>

<p>Never wet the lens with fluid cleaners. Brush or blow the lens off first, then dampen (not wet!) the lens tissue or cloth with the cleaning fluid, and wipe the lens carefully. Using breath is ok in a pinch, but it's loaded with microorganisms that can cause mold, etc. if the lens isn't properly cleaned and is then left stored. I also keep a few Pec Pads in a ziplock stashed my camera bag.</p>