ETRs underexposing

jim_peterson2

<p>I shot a couple rolls with my ETRs and AE-III VF this summer and they were underexposed. I picked up an AE-II but it gives almost identical readings to the AE-III. Now I'm running a comparison with my Pentax 645 which is working just fine and there is clearly something wrong with the Bronica. I'm shooting both cameras in aperture priority mode and the Bronica finder is set to average metering. Bot cameras have a standard 75/2.8 lens. I've been keeping notes and am very surprised. The difference between the two cameras varies from shot to shot, but the ETRs is underexposing by anywhere from 1 to 2.5 stops!<br>

Here is some of the data: I tried to space these columns but the preview shows that they all get squished together. Sorry about that, but I hope you can figure it out. I've listed aperture and shutter speed for the Pentax and then the Bronica, giving one line to each frame.<br>

Pentax Bronica<br>

f/8 1/60 f/8 1/180<br>

f/2.8 1/125 f/2.8 1/250<br>

f/8 1/30 f/8 1/125<br>

f/8 1/60 f/8 1/180<br>

f/8 1/60 f/8 1/350<br>

f/5.6 1/30 f/5.6 1/125<br>

I've checked the batteries in both cameras and they are fine.<br>

The fact that two different view finders on the Bronica give the same results makes me wonder if something is wrong with the camera itself, but then again, all the metering is done in the VF right? I do have to admit that both view finders were purchased second hand, but if they were actually broken I wouldn't expect them to consistently give the same results.<br>

FWIW, I'm shooting Velvia 100F and have verified that both cameras are set to ISO 100.<br>

Anyone have any ideas.</p>

<p>Those are large differences. Is the Pentax doing a center weighted thing and the Bronica averaging in the sky? That would give that sort of difference.</p>

<p>Still, in principle, averaging, center weighted, and "matrix" metering can't work. My approach to Mamiya 645Pro and Mamiya 7 metering is to bring a spot or incident meter along and meter correctly. TTL metering is nice, though, if you are using a polarizer.</p>

<p>FWIW, I really like Velvia 100F (we're in the minority on this one), but (like the original Velvia 50) it's brutally unforgiving on exposure.</p>

<p>I would try the Bronica with a hand held light-meter and see what the results are then. This way you can see if it's the ETRS/lens itself or the Prism. I have the AEIII too and find it quite dodgy to use, sometimes the meter jumps wildly around while other times it behaves correctly. I think the Prisms have a hard time with changing light conditions. I usually leave the prism at home and use a separate light-meter instead, unless I have to shoot faster.</p>

<p>Make sure you have a fresh battery in the Bronica, preferably a silver oxide type. Bronica considers alkaline OK, and lithium only passable.<br>

Make sure that your exposure compensation dials are set to zero. Meter something of continuous tone, like a gray card, or a completely blank wall, making sure it fills the finder completely.<br>

I think the spot option on the AEIII uses a separate photocell. See if it gives a different reading in spot mode when metering as described above.<br>

Gently clean the contacts between the lens and body, and between the body and finder.<br>

If there is still a problem, the problem could be in the lens, body or finder. The only way to know for sure which, short of just sending it for repair, is to try a different lens, finder or body until the faulty component is determined.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies.<br>

David: Great to see another Tokyo resident here! I live in Higashikurume. Both cameras are center-weighted and the pattern is not identical but quite similar.<br>

Uncle Goose: The problem is the only light meter I have is an old Minolta Auto Meter-III and I don't feel like going out and spending a lot of money on one just to find out if something is broken...<br>

Jeff: The battery is good. It's alkaline and I checked it with a battery meter. And I forgot to mention that the exposure compensation settings are at 0 on both cameras and in the case of the Bronica also on the hidden switch on the underside of the VF. Spot metering with the AE-III does give different readings as would be expected. I will make sure the contacts are clean and try a different lens since I have a 150 for both cameras.<br>

Mervyn: yes, that would be the way to know for sure... but I haven't seen to many folks walking around with the ETRS... :)<br>

Thanks again for the pointers. If I figure it out I will definitely post again!</p>

<p>Well, it might be the lens. I put a 150/3.5 on both cameras and just pointing the cameras around my room at different apertures I'm getting almost identical readings from the two cameras. I'll try it outside tomorrow. I'll also try the 105mm and the 40mm tomorrow but I don't have the equivalent lenses for the Pentax so I'll just use some other camera.<br>

So if it is the lens, what would cause something like that to happen? Do you think it is fixable? I'll probably just look for another one on the used market. They are pretty cheap here.</p>

<p>Jeff; Sorry, my previous response was misleading. When pointed at something of continuous tone the readings do not change between spot and average metering. Only when pointing at scene with differing levels of light intensity in different areas does the spot metering give different results than the average metering. So I think it is safe to say both photocells are working correctly.<br>

I have confirmed this morning that with all lenses except the 75/2.8 I get metering results that are similar to my Pentax 645 or other cameras with similar lenses and settings. So I am pretty sure it is the lens. If I get my work done today I plan on going to a used camera shop to try out another 75/2.8 and see how it works.</p>