Pain or Joy? 1Ds vs 7D

HK71

<blockquote>

<p>and the 70-200 f4 is every bit as good as the 2.8 lens</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The latter is the back breaker in my kit, and I've been toying with getting the former. Another trick, if you're using a shoulder bag, is to roll the big gun into a towel or something, and stow it in a packsack. It's harder to access, but tends to be the seldom used anyway.</p>

<p>I will just echo what has been said already.</p>

<p>I carry my 1Ds over my shoulder with a nice padded strap. I can carry it all day and hardly know that it was there. 2 mins around my neck and I need to see a chiro.</p>

<p>Cropped sensor will drastically alter things for you with your current lens kit. Not in a good way.</p>

<p>As someone who has a 1DIIN, 5DII and 7D (plus 1VHS, 1NRS etc...) I would suggest staying with the 1Ds or buying a 5DII. If find that the 7D is about as capable as the 1DIIN (there are differences and the 1DIIN outperforms the 7D in some areas while the 7D improves on the 1DIIN in others). You will not find the 7D gets to full frame performance but it is much smaller and lighter. Apart from the angle of view differences I suspect that image quality will be similar form the 7D and the 1Ds as sensor technology has advanced a lot between these bodies.</p>

<p>believe yr best choice to be 5D MK2 or dual 5D if can got any fine pieces fm second hand.<br>

Apsc format will deeply effect yr sensation to lenses built on full format, also believe me it is not a better choice to try...<br>

one exception is if you are in eager demand of 720P 60FPS video shooting ,u'll need a 7D</p>

<p>believe yr best choice to be 5D MK2 or dual 5D if can got any fine pieces fm second hand.<br>

Apsc format will deeply effect yr sensation to lenses built on full format, also believe me it is not a better choice to try...<br>

one exception is if you are in eager demand of 720P 60FPS video shooting ,u'll need a 7D</p>

<p>There's carrying your kit, and carrying your camera with lens attached when in use. Two different problems. There are lots of ways to carry your kit, and everyone has to find their own preference, but for actually carrying your camera at the ready, a neck strap takes a lot of beating. Unless you are prepared to move away from that (I would not be) then (a) you have to find the most comfortable neck strap, again a very personal choice that can make a lot of difference, and (b) you have to reduce the weight round your neck. I feel your pain, beacuse I sometimes used to use my 1V with PB-E2 and 100~400, a combination of about the same weight and bulk as a 1Ds with 70~200/2.8. It convinced me that whatever their merits, and leaving cost aside, the 1D series was not for me because I would not have the option that I did with the 1V of taking the booster off.</p>

<p>So, what to do? I strongly suspect that, as several other posters have said, you would be happier with a 5DII than with a 7D (incidentally, I have a dual-format kit including both those bodies, so I speak from familiarity with them). And that's good, because the 5DII is actually very marginally <strong>lighter</strong> than the 7D – and, of course, both are very mich lighter than any 1D-series body. But I think you're going to have to do something about those lenses if you are serious about weight loss. The biggest win would come from replacing the 70~200/2.8 with the 70~200/4IS, and you'd make a further significant gain by replacing the 24~70 with the 24~105IS. I'm weight-averse too, and my carry-round kit comprises 5DII, 17~40, 24~105, and 70~200/4IS, which gives me no problems.</p>

<p><em>Whatever. I love the way you quote some tests ad nauseum whilst casually dismissing others. </em></p>

<p>Scott, you are the <strong>master</strong> when it comes to casually dismissing others. Your entire response to me was an attempt to casually dismiss me based on your false assumptions about my experiences. It's rude and arrogant and it's not the first time you've tried to pull that card from your sleeve and play it.</p>

<p><em>Post your own empirical results, as I have in the past, and you might gain some credibility. </em></p>

<p>There you go again with your false assumptions and attempts to casually dismiss me. If you review my posts you will find I have posted empirical results in many conversations. Just because you posted some FF vs. crop telephoto shots in one thread (which, btw, betrayed the point you were trying to make) doesn't mean you're the authority on any issue that comes up. If you want to prove something here and now, you have to perform tests relevant to here and now.</p>

<p><em>I am not arrogant with regards your opinion, just dismissive. </em></p>

<p>Dismissing my opinion based on false assumptions about me when you have nothing to back up yours is arrogant.</p>

<p><em>I have explained before, for your benefit, why I believe my empirical results differ from your referenced tests, every time I have shown you are wrong you just leave a thread, take it or leave it.</em></p>

<p>I believe I've only participated in one thread with you where you posted empirical results. As I recall, your results proved the opposite of your initial claim, and several people pointed this out to you. I'm not aware of any time where you "proved me wrong" and I left a thread. If I missed a ground breaking post of yours in a past debate, please, feel free to point me to it.</p>

<p>BTW, I think that it's hilarious that you're willing to take an untenable position just to argue with me. Or just to argue FF vs. crop. I said the 7D has higher resolution than the 1Ds, which is self evident. I said the 7D has less noise, which should also be self evident considering Canon capped the 1Ds ISO at 1250. (The 7D is usable for larger prints at ISO 3200.)</p>

<p>I said the 7D had greater DR. Proof would require putting both against a Stouffer step wedge. But if you have any of the experience you claim with early Canon DSLRs then you must remember they maxed at about 8.5 stops of DR. The 7D, like other modern Canon DSLRs, measures to about 10.</p>

<p>And I said the 7D had better tonality. This should be a given considering 7 years of improvements in sensor, ADCs, processing, and the move to 14-bit files. (Though in all fairness it would probably never be relevant in real prints. Settings, processing, and printers have a much larger impact on tonality and gamut than sensor differences.)</p>

<p>But I'm sure you'll find a way to dismiss all of that.</p>

<p>daniel like you I suspect the IQ of the 7D will be as good or better than the 1Ds, I find that my 7D produces better images than my 1DIIN except at higher ISO. The 1DIIN is obviously lower resolution than the 1Ds (8.5MP APS-H vs 11Mp Fullframe) but it is newer. at high ISO the 1DIIN is probably slightly less noisy than the 7D although the extra resolution of the 7D allows you to offset this. Here are some crops I did a while ago that represent the same area of the image - they are hockey shorts.</p><div>00XG6Y-279099584.jpg.7ca146437e963c2615b2c7811cc71e61.jpg</div>

<p>When you look at them at similar size they 1DIIN is perhaps slightly better. At lower ISOs (sub 800) there is no contest the 7D has a lot more detail than the 1DIIN and produces better images. Given the 2009 camera beats my 2005 1DIIN in most circumstances (it lacks some functionality such as multi-spot metering, viewfinder blind etc...) I would be surprised if it cannot improve on a 2002 camera. For what it is worth DXO mark rates the 7D sensor as being as good or better than the 1Ds. Of course the 7D has higher resolution but will be an issue for wide angle use (unless you buy some EF-S lenses). Personally I use my 16-35II as the standard lens on my 7D and just take my 5DII for wide angle use.</p>

<p>I switched from the Canon-brand strap to a <a href="http://www.adorama.com/CLTIDBK.html">Crumpler padded strap</a>, designed to spread the weight out a bit more, and I'm AMAZED at how light my camera feels when hanging. For $30, it's certainly a lot cheaper than buying a new body, and if you decide to go with a new body, you can use the strap on that to gain even more comfort.</p>

<p>I am a pretty young and well built 45 and still get extreme pain from carrying my 5D Mark II with 24-70 or Sigma 70-200 and god forbid I put my 85 1.2 L on camera. Then add the 580 EX II strobo frame and battery pack and the whole thing gets heavy fast. I like use a Tamrac Curved neck strap which has elastic bands and a soft strap around nech to make more compfortable. BUt, I like the idea of some type of waist or should device instead. PS - I am also a computer programmer so I already have neck, back, and shoulder strains from work.</p>

I own and enjoy a 1D mk ii and a 5D mk II plus a stable of great Canon lenses, However I too find them to be heavy to

carry around constantly. In my case it's the result of 30 years hauling luggage over my shoulder through airports. My

solution was to buy a Leica M8 a couple years ago which i just upgraded to an M9 a few months ago. The camera is

lighter. The lenses are MUCH lighter. Many of the lenses are two stops faster as well. My M9 and four lenses fit in the

same space as my 1D with my 28-70 lens.

Yes, they're expensive but since you're already buying 1 series cameras and L glass it doesn't seem like saving money is

your concern.

If you've been shooting for 23 years then you remember the days before auto-everything. The Leica is a throwback to

those times. Some people enjoy the experience, others don't so find a local dealer and try it out. Some smaller dealers

may even loan you one for a day to try it out.

Of course, that's just one old guy's opinion so take it for what it's worth.