Any good Nikon for about 500-600 bucks?

marco_de_biasi

<p>I found 3 good options at Adorama. 1. D5000 with 18-55 VR refurbished by Nikon $519. 2. D3000 with 18-55 VR new $542. 3. D3000 refurbished $300 and 18-105 VR refurbished $260. Refurbished means that it goes to the Nikon factory and is restored to like new condition. They usually carry a 90 day Nikon warranty. I think it's a very good way to save money.</p>

<p>My first choice would be option #3 because I'd go for the better lens. My second choice would be option #1.</p>

<p>The first two replies are probably the best ideas. However, there's nothing wrong with getting a used pro body with some good but cheap primes (not necessarily Nikons; there are some great bargains out there). However, you'd have to be very enthusiastic about your photography to want to do that. Other (cheap) bodies which I think are good: D50, D40, D40X.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the budget would be around $500-600.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>She didn't say anything about DSLR, did she? I just read a few minutes ago that a guy wants to sell his DSLR gear to go P&S because he figures out (NOW!) that it's too expensive for him. You could get some DSLR and lens at the lowest end for that budget but soon you will feel that it's not good enough. There is always something else to upgrade to, but it's going to cost you</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've purchased many refurb products and never had a problem with them</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've purchased so many used cameras and never had a problem with them. Digital cameras of 10+ years ago or film cameras of up to 70 years ago. The few cameras with problems I knew that before buying but liked it so much and couldn't resist. But that doesn't mean you won't have any problems if you buy used cameras. Also, it happens all the time that some cameras I had used a lot and worked very well but after given to someone else he destroyed it in a day or two</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Refurbished means that it goes to the Nikon factory and is restored to like new condition. They usually carry a 90 day Nikon warranty</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't have a problem about refurbished items but I wonder why the manufacturers give ONLY 90 days warranty instead of a whole year for the new items. <strong>THINK</strong> about it</p>

<p>Sorry for haven't been clearer. Yes, she would like to buy a DSLR and I agree with John about the 90 days warranty. I think that could be an important matter. After all a new D5000 costs around 690 bucks and the initial budget was around 500-600 bucks. I think she can go a little further and add other 100 bucks to buy the D5000.<br>

The thing is I don't know anything about the D5000. If I'm right the D3000 isn't that bad but you don't have the live view on that camera while it should be available on the the D5000.</p>

<h3></h3>

<p>I am puzzled why people are recommending the D5000. Of course the D3100 is not yet available, but at least based on the specifications, it is clearly the "D5000 killer" as we discussed in this thread: <a href="00X6PA?start=0">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00X6PA?start=0</a></p>

<p>The D3100 is supposed to be availabe this month (September 2010). I would wait a bit for that and make sure everything checks out ok. It'll be around $700 initially (including the 18-55 kit lens), a bit beyond the OP's budget but still fairly close.</p>

<h4>I'm finding some differences between the D5000 and the D3100: the continuous shooting on the D5000 is 4fps (and 63 / 11 frames that I don't know what does it mean). The Active D-Lighting on the D5000 offers several modes against the On/Off on the D3100. But besides that the D3100 has a better ISO, better video features and higher picture resolution. I'm not sure about the video features since the main purpose will be just still images. Also about the higher mega pixel / picture resolution I've learnt that higher resolution doesn't always mean better quality therefore I don't care too much about that.</h4>

<p>I'll keep reading around about comparisons between D3100 and D5000.</p>

<p>I was looking at the $500-600 limit. If she can go to $700 I'd definately wait for the D3100 before getting anything. Then she can handle both and get a better comparison. Also when new models come out the older one usually comes down in price.</p>

<p>I wouldn't worry too much about the 90 day warranty on Nikon refurbished gear. If they gave the full one year warranty on a refurbished D5000 there would be less reason to buy a new D5000. They want the refurbished cameras and lenses to appeal to bargain hunters who might not be able to afford a new D5000, and they use the 1 year warranty as an inducement to buy a new one. You'll have to decide if the warranty is worth the price, but if you check the user reviews at Adarama you'll see that there are few problems with the refubished cameras and lenses.</p>

<p>Marco, the D5000 uses a variation of the 12MP Sony CMOS sensor from the D300 introduced in 2007. The D3100 uses a new 14MP sensor that goes up to ISO 6400. 3 more years of technological advances alone is a good enough reason to favor the D3100 over the D5000. Related to that, the extra stop ISO 6400 will make a difference. You are also looking into newer battery technology.</p>

<p>Again, obviously I haven't seen a D3100 as nobody outside of Nikon has, but I have every reason to believe that once the D3100 becomes available, it will kill all remaining D5000 sales. Any remaining D5000 will have to be deeply discounted and Nikon will have to replace it soon.</p>

<p>Not sure why Shun said not to get the D5000. I'm not that familiar with the D3100 but the D5000 is an excellent camera, and it has Live View and does HD video as well. It also has the swivel screen which is nice to have (although I would agree not a must, but its the only one I believe that has the swivel screen). It's a wonderful camera. Shun, why is the D3100 a D5000 killer? What am I missing - I read through several pages of the thread link you gave and don't get it.</p>