Camera bag recommendation

<p>Hi all,<br>

Sorry for posting a bag question here, I posted a similar question on the camera bag forum and didn't get any response, so I am trying my luck in the Nikon forum.</p>

<p>I am interested in getting a bag that could fit my need....</p>

<p>Use: Travel (out of country, comfort for a day shooting in city), Outdoor (like going short day hike or shooting in national park for example)</p>

<p>Travel Kit: D700 + 24-70 + 45 PC-E + SB900 + 17-35 or 85 f/1.4 (depends on situation, I will carry one)</p>

<p>Outdoor Kit: D700 + 24-70 + 45 PC-E +SB900 + 70-200f2.8 + TC1.4x</p>

<p>I tried Thinktank Retrospective and I found it is very difficult to put the camera back into the bag as lens on two sides collapsed into the middle and I always have to put the bag on ground to put the camera back.</p>

<p>So far in my research I found three bags that I liked:<br>

<strong>Vanguard Uprise 33</strong><br>

<strong>Boda V3</strong>, I like the fact that it can stand on it own and waterproof, I know it is labeled as event/wedding photographer bag, but I would want to know if it will be good in traveling as well.<br>

<strong>Timbuk2</strong> messenger bag, and install custom inserter myself.</p>

<p>Please let me know your recommendation. Thanks for all the responses.</p>

<p>Personally I use the Think Tank Speed Freak (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/speed-freak-belt-pack.aspx) combined with a Speed Changer (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/speed-changer-belt-pack.aspx). I love them. <br>

If I really want to shove this setup full I can fit a TLR, Flash(SB800 size), Olympus OM-10 w/ three lenses, D80, 18-135 kit lens, 35 f2.0, and 70-300 VR into this "one" bag. Add the free "stuff" bag I got because of how much I ordered and I can add 5 rolls of film to that, and I haven't even gotten into the pockets.<br>

The fanny pack straps are the best part of the whole bag. If you don't need them and just want a shoulder bag they tuck into the bag and are gone. If you need more space they take think tank modular components (speed changer in my case). This lets you customize the size of the bag to the job at hand. I find myself just using the shoulder strap much of my "active time" since I want to put the bag down quickly but when I find myself really walking then I clip the waist strap and make it much more comfortable. If you expand the bag with extra components you can still use it as a shoulder bag as there are multiple strap points to choose from to balance weight. If I were doing true hiking (over say 5 miles solid walking) then I would look into replacing the shoulder strap with the racing harness they sell (but I don't know if they even work together) right now I just combine the shoulder strap with the waist strap to make a sort of low riding backpack. Each part has its own rain cover that stows in a special compartment that kept paper stuck on top of the bag but under the cover dry during a recent rainstorm in the south.<br>

In short I love this bag. Never too small (add extra components as needed), never too big (just strip off components or use a component bag on its own). If you would like any pictures with real stuff just ask. </p>

<p>I have never used any the bags you have listed. I did have the Boda V2 and I kind of liked it. But since it fell apart on me and repeated emails to Boda went unanswered, I'm not going to try the improved version! We have had Tamrac, Crumpler, and others and my favorite and current system so far is the Think Tank stuff. I don't think I would like the Retrospective myself, it seems to much like the Crumpler and I didn't like the Crumpler! We have the UD 50 and 60 (should have just gotten a 2nd 60) and I love 'em. I have also emailed Think Tank with questions and they at least return my emails! Another plus in my book.</p>

<p>I've been through a whole heap of bags in a search for the right one, and have ended with 2.</p>

<p>The Vanguard Uprise 34 is my 'whole kit' bag for taking on aircraft or in trains etc. Too big to be a day-bag - for my taste, I like to go out light - but works very well for a lugging around a body, a bunch of lenses (I fit 6 primes in it, though 3 of them are small) and some accessories.</p>

<p>For a day out in the city, I'm sold on the smaller models of the Tamrac Velocity series. Really easy to use, and they can either go over the back sling-wise (as designed) or simply sit on your shoulder. Plus they don't scream out photo bag as much as some other bags. My 7x model usually has in it a body and 3 lenses (135/2, 85/1.4, and one of the 'smallies' - 50/1.4, 35/2 or 28/2.8) plus my SB400 (or another 'smallie') plus a bunch of small accessories, cards, spare batteries, etc. If I want to take my gorillapod focus it slips right into one of the elsastic loops on the side and sits there nicely.</p>

<p>For just a couple of hours at a time, its a generic leather satchel that I use with just one setup and perhaps a second lens in it loose. Its a joy to go out that way, and (as per discussion in the 'D700 stolen' thread) also a lot safer than having what is visibly a camera bag on me.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Frank & Matt: I personally prefer a shoulder bag than a waist bag. I tried a waist bag before (I believe it's Lowepro), and dislike walking around with a waist bag (I do have the Think tank belt system for event shooting), just personal preference, thanks for the suggestion neverless.<br>

John: I used to have a Crumpler 6 million Dollar and the Retrospective is a lot better except the one fault I mentioned. As you mentioned in your comment, I am going to ask Thinktank about the problem I got and see their answer.<br>

BM: I hope I get your name correct, please forgive me if I got it wrong. If I am going out with just camera and 2 lens, I use a small waterproof messenger bag fitted with inserters I pulled off from my unused bag, and i found it is very easy to carry around and does not attract attention, the downside is less protection all the way around.</p>

<p>I had a couple of months ago the same decision to make and ended up with a Lowepro Fastpack 350. It does well fit my D300s, a 24-85mm, a 80-200 f2.8, a flash and one additonal lens.</p>

<p>What I like about it is that it has this extra compartment where I can put e.g. my lunch pack or additional clothes. It also has a laptop compartment which I never use, but could be handy to put some paperwork or newspaper. And I love the quick access from the side, which is even deep enough to fit my camera including the 80-200 (but without the hood).</p>

<p>For me, it paid off to walk to the shop and try to fit my kit into different bags - a lot of the bags on offer don't fit large lenses, which means they seem roomier on pictures than "live".</p>