What Hasselblad 80mm lens to take from KEH.COM

nir_dvorai

<p>I'm looking for a used 80mm lens for my Hasselblad camera.<br>

Since I live outside the US, I prefer to buy from reputable seller with guarantee.<br>

I found 2 choice at KEH.COM which will fit my (low) budget:<br>

1. 80mm C *T (old style) grade EX- 429USD.<br>

2. 80mm CF *T grade BRG- 399USD (with caps)<br>

the sales man told me that the two lenses in working order, only in the CF the focus is "unknown" if smooth.<br>

Also- both lenses have cleaning marks on front barrel and dust that won't affect image- according to the sales man words.</p>

<p>Can you please advise me which lens should I get: the old one but cosmetically better or the CF one but lower grade?</p>

<p>Thanks. </p>

<p>If I were in your shoes, I'd also consider the classified ad sections of photography sites such as photo.net and APUG (Analog Photography Users Group). I'd also consider David Odess (http://www.david-odess.com/sales.html); he currently has two 80mm lenses, but the prices are greater than what KEH has available -- you'd have to weigh the pros and cons to know whether that would work for you.</p>

<p>As a non USA resident you can use KEH's return policy but shipping costs both ways are yours. Also all duties and taxes. That makes it very unattractive to return a purchase from overseas. In my case shipping to Holland one way alone was over US$ 100 for a small lens. I would buy a lens that is very unlikely to be returned. Oh, last time I looked into the "smalll print" KEH did no repairs on purchases made by overseas clients. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that KEH isn't field-testing the products - they do seem to have fairly knowledgable staff who basically check the products out, but it seems not all are experts at all equipment, and if anything at all is questionable or unknown, it seems to get a BGN rating. So, sometimes you can get some really good deals on things marked BGN with only cosmetic wear/damage. But, you do take the chance of a significant defect, and as already mentioned, you can return it but you have to eat the shipping costs.</p>

<p>If I were in your shoes I'd try to buy something locally. QG is right - $400 seems high for an 80mm lens.</p>

<p>When you buy fron David Odess he wil have serviced the lens and it will be in perfect working order. That is why his lenses are higher priced. Worth it in my humble opinion.</p>

<p>His stock is limited but for hasselblad gear my first stop would definitely be david odess. Short of that here or apug may be a good option. I've had good experiences with KEH until recently.</p>

<p>I just bought a lens from KEH for my pentax 67. It was supposed to be in Ex+ condition. Along with having some marks on the rear element, the lens mount was bent and it wouldn't even mount on the camera.</p>

<p>They did accept the return, of course, but it was a hassle. The guy I spoke with tried to convince me the marks on the element were a manufacturing flaw and that I wasn't mounting the lens correctly. The bayonet prong was so bent it was nearly touching the base flange part of the mount. And I got my first P67 almost 15 years ago...</p>

<p>As for the particular lenses, I've never actually used a CF 80mm. The C T* 80mm is one of my favorite lenses ever. It gives a wonderful look. It's very sharp but not harsh and the color is beautiful. The Cfe gives results that are more modern looking in my opinion, perhaps technically better than the C. I'm not sure where the CF fits in.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As for the particular lenses, I've never actually used a CF 80mm. The C T* 80mm is one of my favorite lenses ever. It gives a wonderful look. It's very sharp but not harsh and the color is beautiful. The Cfe gives results that are more modern looking in my opinion, perhaps technically better than the C. I'm not sure where the CF fits in.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The C, CF and CFE are different mounts, all containing the very same 80 mm lens.</p>

<p>I don't own the lenses currently, but I found that the C T* lens had a slightly different look from the CFe. Perhaps it was dust in the lens, or sample variation. But the C lens had slightly less contrast and softer color rendition. Both were equally sharp (or close) and both were great lenses.</p>