What does a Pink filter do?

j. caputo

<p>I have always liked Peter Lik's landscape images. I understand there is some filter use and processing done to his images which I have heard he uses a pink filter on camera. He shoots digital. So as a beginner to landscape photography I was wondering if someone could explain exactly what filter number the pink filter is and what it's purpose and results are. While we are on the subject if you could offer any other filter options I would appreciate it. I shoot landscape with a Canon 5D. I know about the ND, Grad, and Pol filters. I am just interested in any color filters that may improve my images.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>First, a filter passes some colors and stops some. As an example a yellow filter passes yellow light and stops its complement (opposite) which is blue. So a yellow filter is a blue blocker. One more example, a green filter passes green light and stops green's complement which is magenta. Magenta is a warm color a mixture of equal parts red and blue. Another way to say this, a filter passes its name. There are exceptions to the this naming, a UV (ultra violet) stops UV.</p>

<p>Now for pink: Likely the filter you are talking about is called a Skylight. It is used to apply a slight warming to overcast scenes. Landscapes are likely illuminated by sunlight plus reflected skylight from blue sky. Now shadows result when objects shield the sun however if the shielding was complete you would only see black in the shadows, they would be void of detail. This is not the case, the shadows generally are weakly illumined by bluish light reflected from the sky.</p>

<p>The skylight filter mitigates this bluish landscape effect. Additionally the skylight absorbs UV light thus it affords some haze cutting. We use UV filters on distance landscapes and in aerial photography.<br>

The skylight is labeled Wratten 1A . Stronger versions are 2B and 2E. Commonly the 1A is sold only under the name Skylight.</p>

<p>The use of filters is very important when shoot film. Filter usage in digital photography is augmented by post processing using editing software. In other words most of the effect can be achieved on the computer. </p>

<p>Thanks Alan.. I like that you took the time to explain. But the pink filter I am finding in articles is a pretty noticeable pink. Not like a UV filter with a very slight shade of pink. I am not sure if this is correct but it may also be considered the "Enhancer" filter or didymium filter. Is this the same pink filter your thinking of Alan?</p>

<p>I haven't tried it, but there is the possibility of using such a filter to enhance the sky and slightly increase contrast, much as you would use a red filter with b/w(but much much less dramatic an effect). With auto white balance, or one set for the use of the filter, the blue/cyan that would be cut with the filter might reduce exposure on that channel which could enhance things as I suggest above--since the white balance is digital and not mechanical, it might just add to the effect rather than eliminate it--just a thought?!</p>

<p>So-called "skylight" (often 1-A) filters were more pink than UV filters, the idea being to warm up the blue from the open sunny sky.<br /> Another warming filter is the 81a Warming Filter, also called the A2, the so called "Moose" filter named after Moose Peterson (Google™ "moose filter" and you'll get about 1,780,000 results including <a href="http://www.vividlight.com/articles/304.htm">link</a>). Actually, just Google Photo.net and you'll find lots of discussion. It's still more pinkish and used with a polarizing filter to reduce reflections and increase saturation.</p>

<p>Some pinkish filters (e.g., Tiffen 812) are sold for warming (caucasian) skin tones on cloudy days.</p>

<p>Of course, if you're shooting digitally, you can get the warming easily enough in many ways in post processing including using the color temperature bar in Adobe Camera Raw. What you really can't do practically in Photoshop is to get rid of the glare, the way a polarizer can at the correct angles.</p>

<p>A pink filter is not the most common attenuator however we do have in our inventory a plethora of filters collectively called Color Compensating Filters (CC). They are used to adjusts color balance. As an example we can correct for errors induced by mismatches of light source to film and we use them when printing chemical based color papers. These come in yellow - magenta - cyan - red- green -blue - each hue available in seven strengths from just perceivable (0.025) and strong (0.50).</p>

<p>Now filters mounted on the camera must be optical flats. Likely is one of the magenta (red-blue) of the set. Magenta filters are sometimes (not often) called pink. Let me add that I am not an admirer of adding filters helter-skelter. That's because I am an old "stick-in-mud" who likes reality (images with fidelity).</p>

<p>However, my best guess a CC magenta value 0.10 or 0.20.</p>

<p>I did an Internet search for Peter Lik with Google; he's mentioned in an article on Velvia 50.<br /> <br /> http://search.creativecommons.org/?q=peter+lik+filter<br /> <br /> <cite>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvia</cite><br /> <br /> Coincidentally, that same article notes that a CC 25 is used to counteract reciprocity failure in Velvia 50. A search for that color compensation filter (the 25 is more about intensity, but nonetheless, just to see what we'd get) on Adorama's website returns three potential filters, a cyan, a blue and a magenta. The magenta CC25 looks pink to me.</p>

<p>http://www.adorama.com/LECC25M.html</p>

<p>I think that's it, or close in color to it.</p>

<p>If Lik liked that Velvia, and now he's stuck with whatever digital, and using a CC on top of it: well, then he's probably trying to milk more color than the system's designed to give. So, he's going to add some magenta, is my guess.</p>

<p>What the pink filter will do is enhance the red side of purple slightly. In that article listed above, Velvia 50 was noted as having a real good chance at reproducing purples accurately. So, my guess is that Peter Lik likes the magenta side of the spectrum.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, the article mentions that he may have been recruited for a reality TV series. Notwithstanding those stylistic horrors, the magenta filter will have a tendency to brown up greens some. It's kind of unusual that a landscape photographer would recommend this filter color, as it is probably not going to be a great big hit in areas with lots of leafy green vegetation. In Lik's home terrain of Australia, where there are probably many red sand arid lands (if he's not from the jungle); well, it might work out great over there.</p>

<p>Contrast-wise, it'd be a mild blend of the effects of a red and blue. Blues are pretty good filters; among the stronger in contrast, but because they're often available in the stronger intensities in glass (more stops), it's just flat out hard to look through a stack with anything in addition to that blue filter on it. So, I can see why it'd be a "boutique" choice.</p>

<p>For what you're going to get from a filter, it's going to depend on how you choose to use it. I think of it in terms of "emphasize, block or comply." (cf. <a href="https://www.agxphoto.info/mirrors/ch2/chapter2.html#CH2.03">https://www.agxphoto.info/mirrors/ch2/chapter2.html#CH2.03</a>)</p>

<p>I have only used magenta filters a few times myself. I tried out a CC magenta 05 (I'd have to check the filter ring) as a color compensation filter for some "greenwater" freshwater underwater pictures last year. The water will usually attenuate the recording to making the water look green. I was advised by some articles to try a magenta. I used the weakest one. It browned up everything. Took away that green alright, but I didn't like the effect underwater and ended up going right back to the unfiltered color slides instead. It's based on this experience that I'd say it'd brown up the greens.</p>