Suggestions wanted

wellinghall

<p>I took these two photos a few days ago using my E-420 and 14-54mm lens. In one, I focussed on the rock in the foreground; in the other, I focussed on the pier in the distance.<br>

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd262/wellinghall/Miscellaneous%20August%202010/013-1.jpg<br>

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd262/wellinghall/Miscellaneous%20August%202010/012-1.jpg<br>

Which one do you think looks better? How should I crop it for maximum effect?<br>

Thanks<br>

Andrew</p>

<p>I would recommend the one in which you have focused on the pier. In any sub-composition of this scene the pier plays a significant role. My first choice would be a square crop, the top one-fourths pure sky, then the rocky outcrop emerging from the right frame and diagonally moving down into the bottom left corner. An alternative could be a panorama (16:9) in which the rocky outcrop would emerge as above but end about just over the half-way point of the frame. The latter would perhaps be a well balanced composition but it would really depend on the way you look at it.</p>

<p>Pier in focus, something like this. I didn't correct the tilt of the horizon.  Not sure if I can attach the file I cropped.  Here goes...</p><div>00XCPV-275701684.jpg.5d0c4dbde1980d28905b87fdb719a1f6.jpg</div>

<p>In general I find photos with a large out of focus object in the foreground unattractive, because the OOF object dominates (by being in the foreground it is "leading" the eye into the whole composition) the photograph. I'd do what others have suggested and either sharpen the rocks, or shoot the scene with enough depth of field that pier and rocks are both sharp. </p>

<p>I'm not saying that having OOF objects in the dominant foreground can't ever work; I just think it's a pretty tricky thing to pull off successfully.</p>