THINK BIG!

nathangardner

<p>To wit:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Canon has announced it has developed the world's largest CMOS sensor measuring 202 x 205mm. Approximately 40 times the size of Canon's largest commercial CMOS sensor, it captures images with 1/100th the amount of light required by an SLR camera. Its advanced circuitry allows video recording at 60 frames per second with 0.3 lux illumination that according to the company is roughly one-half the brightness of a moonlit night. There is currently no information about the sensor's resolution. This follows last week's development announcement of Canon's 120 megapixel 29.2 x 20.2mm APS-H CMOS sensor.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>IMO this and the last high MP chip are great news. Maybe LF isn't dead, maybe MF will become more affordable sooner. Very cool. Glad to see they are interested in pushing the limits of engineering, should prove to be a good business move for them.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Perhaps, a digital back for that old 8x10 that has been gathering dust?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Heck, a smaller version would be perfect for a Pentacon 6TL back or a Kiev or even, think of it, a Hasselblad.<br /> My largest large format however is 5x7, I'll have to hunt around for a larger one while I'm saving for one :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How expensive could it possibly be?!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Right now? Beyond the dreams of avarice. Dinky little medum format digital backs are as high as US$30,000 right now, I think. I note that the RED camera company has a disclaimer :]</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Specifications, prices and delivery dates are subject to change. Count on it. <br /> <strong>We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude</strong>.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>(could they have dealt with some of the more trollish and cranky members of our beloved site?)</p>

<blockquote></blockquote>

<blockquote></blockquote>