non-wide printer for color + bw

<p>I've looked a several manufacturers, but it doesn't seem there is a smaller format (e.g. 8" wide) printer that does a good job at printing both color and bw (i.e. various shades of gray ink). The epson 2880 seems to be the smallest...<br>

Are there any smaller printers (say up to 8x10...) that do a great job of printing both color and bw?<br>

Thanks!<br>

Avery</p>

<p>Are you sure you'll never want anything larger than 8x10? You might just find out that larger prints can occasionally be nice. The 2880 is arguably the best quality "small" printer out there. I have a 3800 and rarely use anything larger than 13x19 paper, which the 2880 could handle, but really like the construction, the larger ink cartridges and the ability to do 16x20's when the mood strikes me. If you're really never going to print larger than 8x10, perhaps they could be done commercially?<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p>Eric -- yes, I think I will want to print larger than 8x10, but I don't think it'll be a regular occurrence So, when those needs arise, I can send it out to one of the better online services, or even work with a local lab.</p>

<p>If I can't find anything smaller that will also print B&W, then I may go with the R2880; however, I'm mainly a hobbiest -- so forking over $600 for a photo-specific printer isn't ideal since most of my pics will be viewed on my website.</p>

<p>I guess I would also consider a used R2400 that is in good shape... however, assuming I have to replace the inks right off the bat, spending more than about $150 on a used one doesn't make much sense.</p>

<p>Have printers like these improved with respect to clogging when used only intermittently. Since my Epson 1280 went belly-up a couple of years ago, I have been using commercial print shops and am not familiar with the newer models. My 1280 was not good w.r.t. clogging.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>I never saw black and white inkjet prints I liked until the K3 inks came out. Now with reasonable care, I am able to produce black and white prints that are superior to those I made in the darkroom for almost forty years. There is an amazing range of papers now available, with a wide variety of surfaces and tonality. There are way more papers on the market than there ever were in the wet darkroom days. It's a photographer's paradise.<br>

Any printer can clog. A friend here in the Pacific northwest, where it tends to be moist except in the summer had his 3800 clog at horrendous expense. My old 1280 has clogged a few times but responds to a cleaning; it's now used only for documents. My own 3800 has never clogged, it was purchased in January 2007, almost four years ago. A local expert recommended I add water to the maintenance cartridge monthly and I do. I also use it pretty regularly since I'm a retired bum who does little else but photography<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p>Eric,</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback and your assessment of the K3 inks' capabilities of printing bw. Sounds like the 2880 is the way to go, once the budget permits.</p>

<p>I am curious... does anyone know the practical life (versus Epson mentioned 6-month) of the K3 inks, stored in-cartridge... with only intermittent printing?</p>

<p>Thanks!<br>

Avery</p>

<p>I have an hp photosmart 7960 (8.5 x 11 inch) that's several years old. It probably wouldn't be considered a "serious" digital photographer's printer because it can't work with external profiles, etc. Still, it did a pretty nice job for me until I got an Epson 3800. I never printed b&w with it so can't comment on its abilities in that area. Presumably the newer models are better than my old one. Maybe an inexpensive hp would suffice for your casual, everyday printing needs.</p>

<p><em>I am curious... does anyone know the practical life (versus Epson mentioned 6-month) of the K3 inks, stored in-cartridge... with only intermittent printing?</em></p>

<p>Yes. A 'long' time. I have kept track of every single ink cart change in my 2400 since I bought it new 4.5 years ago. Some of the replacements are a year old (the ones I buy in advance for my on-hand inventory).</p>

<p>Magenta is the least used (just 7) cart while Lt. Magenta my most used (14) cart! Hope that helps.</p>