Buying my first DSLR - A few questions

nadiaduchemin

<p>Greetings everyone,<br>

I'm going shopping for my first ever DSLR this weekend, and I'm confused with all the models available in stores.<br>

I have a budget of 500$<br>

I'm looking something with a good range of ISO. Possibly 100 to 3200 if possible.<br>

I'm also wondering, what's the difference between "body" and "kit"?<br>

I'm fine with 10 megapixels, and I would love something with a flash.<br>

I don't know much about DSLR so if you have questions I should ask the store to help me make my decision, that would be very helpful.<br>

Thank you!</p>

<p>Body means you get the camera body and no lenses. Kit means you get the body and a lens.<br>

Most entry-level DSLR's come with a flash built-in.<br>

I think you'll find it a challenge to get ISO 3200 for $500. <br>

Don't forget you'll need a memory card, but they are inexpensive. </p>

<p>It's like crack. Once you get hooked, you can't stop. Join the club :-)</p>

<p>Wayne: I'm already shooting with films and I have been for many years, I know photography can be addictive :)<br>

I'm only looking to expend my field of expertise, carrying a good camera with me at all time and being able to shoot night and day.<br>

I bought a small point and shoot, but I want something with a better ISO range.<br>

Do you have any model number to recommend? or to avoid?</p>

<p>Also, sometimes you see XSi +18-55IS kits that have been factory refurbished for around $500. Where are you planning to get this camera? You should be warned that most camera retailers give more or less useless advice, especially the chains and big box stores, though many local retailers are pretty bad as well. In other words, you should probably figure out exactly what you want before you go to the store. </p>

<p>I would look at the Canon Rebel T1i. It is a tad over the budget (or look for a used one on craigslist.org), but is has hd video, 15 megapixels, and does 3200 rather well. Here are some samples:<br>

<a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/page26.asp">http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/page26.asp</a><br>

or:<br>

You can also find a Canon 20D or 30D used for under $400 (currently on the Boston craigslist there are 2 30D's for $400, 1 20D for $350, NH craigslist has a 30D for $350 - these are body only, but you can get the you want) and they are excellent rugged cameras that both do 3200 pretty well. <br>

30D - <a href="http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/eos_30d-review/IMG_0159.JPG">http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/eos_30d-review/IMG_0159.JPG</a></p>

<p>Ana, A little info regarding what kind of camera(s) and lens(es) you may have on hand would be helpful. In the $500 range in Canon you are looking at the Canon XS, a very competent little entry level DSLR with 10mp. I see that Adorama has a kit for around $550 that gets you a body with a very capable 18-55mm kit lens, an SD card, bag and spare battery. This is a camera with probably a usable ISO range up to 1600. The good about the kit lens is that it has excellent sharpness, the downside is that it is only 5.6 0n the long end. Coming from film you need to get your arms around the crop factor on the lower end DSLRs. Canon has a 1.6 crop factor that makes an 18-55mm lens function as a 28mm to 85mm lens. Nikon has in the $500 range what I would consider maybe a little better camera in low light, high ISO performance the 12mp D5000, ditto with the Canon on the kit lens. Either of these cameras will produce as good an image as you are skilled to produce. Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, people get into battles over brand loyalty. At this range or any range really how the camera feels in your hand and how the controls work for you is key. Good luck! </p>

<p>I second the used EOS 40D plus IS kit zoom and perhaps a second-hand 50mm f/1.8 prime. Later on get a used Speedlite 430EX (Mk.1) for bounce and fill flash. Yes, this all costs more than $500, but you will have a very versatile and capable kit.</p>

As previously mentioned either a Nikon or canon in this range will be

a great starter camera. I have four Canons in my house with the

oldest being over 40 years old and still working. I also worked with

Nikon in the film days on my job. But I started with Canon and

stayed with it. I recently upgraded a Rebel XT which is still a very

good camera and you will find the Rebel line easy to use and very

satisfying. The Xsi kit would be a good start and allow you to look at

additional lenses in the future that you will keep for the next body

you purchase. I have not used the 40d but have heard good things

and there are some wonderful images online.

Enjoy

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

Thank you for your answers and help. I've looked for a 40D in my area, and on Craigslist, they go for 750$<br>

You mentioned 500$, does that mean they sell the camera for more than it should?<br />Would you recommend buying the camera on EBay maybe?</p>

<p>Ann,<br>

You may want to check out the three big used dealers. You could try Ebay but make sure the user has sold a good number of items and has good feedback. you may want to look at ones with actual images of the Camera. I recently purchased a used Canon 5D off Ebay and got what I believe is a very good deal and I am very satisfied with my purchase. One thing you may want to try is to see if you can comfortably hold the camera and the weight is good for you to hold. I upgraded from a Rebel XT to a 5D and the Rebel XT is about 3/4 size compared to the 5D.<br>

Allan</p>