30d onboard flash trigering a slave?

tallaght_spur

<p>Hi all,<br>

i have a eos 30d and have recently been given a Nissin Di622 flash. The flash has the capability of acting as a slave but i dont know how to 'programe' my camera to use it's onboard flash as a master and simultaniously trigger the flash unit (which i want on a tripod to the left of the subject) as a slave?<br>

is this possible without having to get any other triggers or conectors? and if so it would be great if anyone could tell me how to get it working.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>You need to purchase an optical slave for your flash. There is no control in this system, but when your camera flash triggers, a photocell in the optical slave will set off your Nissin flash that it is connected to, and you are looking at 100% manual control on the Nissin while your camera flash may give you a variable or fixed amount of light depending on your settings.</p>

<p>The flash can already be set up as a slave, but im looking at setting the onboard camera built into my 30d to act as a trigger so that both flashes will simultaniously trigeer? or is this not possible, and i can only use the built in flash on the 30d as a flash on its own?<br>

thanks</p>

<p>I'm assuming that the slave function on the Nissin flash is an optical slave, which is triggered when it detects another flash has fired. You do not have to change any settings on the camera itself, you need to figure out how to change the settings on your slave flash. Canon flashes fire a brief preflash prior to the main burst to set the proper exposure, usually this happens so fast it looks as if there was a single burst of light rather than two. The problem is that the preflash might set off your Nissin too early, as it will see that first burst off light. I've seen some optical slaves have a setting that tells the slave flash to ignore the preflash, so that it fires at the moment of exposure. You'll have to look into the nissin manual to figure out how that works. The other thing that needs to be kept in mind is that you'll have to set the power on the nissin manually, as you can't control if from the camera. You'll also need to figure out where exactly the optical trigger on the nissin is located, as it will need to be positioned in such a way that it can "see" the burst of light from your built-in flash.</p>

<p>I have a 30D as well. It is dependent on an onboard/mounted flash to trigger the slave flash. The 30D itself does not have any wireless flash trigger built-in. You will need to have an add-on (a 'master' flash or wireless trigger) mounted on the 30D - or use the 'optical' method suggested already.<br /> For Canon model flash, the 5xx series flash can act as a wireless 'master' flash. The 4xx series do not and can only be used as standalone when mounted, or as 'slave' flash. Check your new Nissim's specs on whether it can be a 'master' flash, and figure out what you need to add.</p>

<p>If your Nissin flash has different slave modes try the various modes out. Some may ignore the pre-flash. (this is assuming that you have an optical trigger built into your flash)<br>

If not, then here's your options.</p>

<p>1-Press your Flash Exposure Lock button (I believe it's the * button), hold it and wait till your Nissin flash recycles from the preflash that was emitted. Then take your shot. The FEL will fire the preflash when you press the FEL button and you won't have a preflash at the time of capture. (again assuming optical trigger is built in)<br>

2-Buy another manual flash. A full manual flash won't have any pesky pre-flashes. Make sure that the voltage at the hotshoe won't fry your camera though. http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html (again assuming you have an optical trigger)<br>

3-Use a wire. Your 30D has a PC port, that's what it's for. I don't care for wires myself though.<br>

4-Buy a radio trigger set. This can be very reliable and you won't have the line of site issues that your optical slave can sometimes suffer from.</p>

<p>If you were to do this more than just practicing or part time then I'd suggest the radio trigger route. It's something that's also compatible with most anything else you'll get (more flashes, studio lights).</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>well hope you have figured this out by now. Also people really need to slow down and make sure when they respond to a question they understand the equipment the OP is talking about some of the responces are just completly off the mark. So as I have both a Canon 30D and a Nissin 622i flash here is how it goes. The nissin 622i has a built in optical slave, the camera was made to pair with a newer Canon camera so it does indeed ignore the pre flash which means once in slave mode it will fire just fine when it sees the cameras flash fire. To put it into slave mode hold down the mode button untill the power level bar is blinking. (the slave trigger cell is in the fron of the camera under the red plastic lens part so that has to be facing the camera. as long as the power light showing the power level is blinking and your on camera flash is up and firing it should trigger with out a problem. It will not meter (an this flash and optial system has nothing to do with the 7d / 580ex wireless ettl syste) so ignore that post.</p>

<p>hope this did come too late, well actualy i do hope you figured it out before now. any questions email me at dpcassil(at)yaho(dot)com</p>