D90

mike_dunn2

<p>I resently purchased a D90 and have been experamenting with it using different settings. What I do is take a pic of the same building with two different wide angle lenses and two different settings. If I use apiture priority the pic's come out great during the day. With shutter priority the pi's are so flushed out you can barely see the image. But at night the pic's with apiture priority are very blurry and shutter priorty are great. Is there something wrong with my camera or is this normal?</p>

<p>When you choose Aprture priority the camera chooses shutter speed, when you Select Shutter priority you choose shutter speed and camera decided aperture. You might have blury picutres because your shutter speed you chose is very low- what is it?. At night in A mode camera chose low shutter speed to have enough time to geather needed light to do the exposure to deal with this you need a tripod to support the camera durning long exposures. There is nothing wrong with your D90 it's just the way things are. So When you use A mode and the light is dim or low choose largest aperture possible lowest F number so that the camera can choose faster shutter speed. When using S mode use faster shutter speeds depedning on your light level and the camera will choose correct aperture.</p>

<p>You might consider learning more about setting the aperture, shutter and ISO. As a starter, you can check out the guide on PN at <a href="../learn/basic-photo-tips/correct-exposure/">http://www.photo.net/learn/basic-photo-tips/correct-exposure/</a></p>

<p>I purchased an amazing book on this topic, called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. He goes into detail with many examples of how to correctly set the exposure. You might consider picking up a copy.</p>

<p>To add to what has been said, you have to be aware of the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO at all times to avoid what is happening to you. The shutter speed and aperture appear in the viewfinder. The ISO can be checked using the ISO button. "Understanding Exposure" is a very good book, but I suggest that you get a basic photography book first. There are very good ones by John Hedgecoe, Bryan Peterson, National Geographic, and others. Another good book is "The Digital Field Guide to the Nikon D90". You can get any of these at B&N or Amazon.</p>

<p>I use my D90 exclusively in aperture mode and also use the SB600 for bounce or fill flash. If I take an unsatisfying photo, it is my fault. The D90 is better than any camera I have ever owned for coming up with the correct exposure. I also use a mild setting of active D lighting and it performs very well in avoiding blown out highlights. But a tripod is a photographer's best friend. ISO 1600 is very good, but I like keep ISO at 800 or less.</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone. This was primarily a mechanical question. I wasn't sure if my new camera was functioning properly, bought via internet new.<br>

Its a bit funny. I started out many years ago with a Pentix K1000 I think. Everything was manual. Then I knew how to adjust for light or lack there of. With all these electronics and how they are explained in the books and other places believe it or not it seems more confusing. I'm re-teaching myself . By the way, I own two tripods and have been taking extended time photos using a film camera for a long time. I do find a difference in settings between film and digial. Same settings, different results. But as I was saying its a re-learning process for me.</p>

<p>What you learned on your K1000 is still true, and if you put your new Nikon in manual mode will be very similar--one dial adjusts aperture, the other dial adjusts shutter speed. There will be a little 'electronic bar graph' display in your viewfinder that will behave much like the meter in your K1000.</p>