Hello all,

I recently bought a Bessa R2 to replace my Leica CL, and I'm trying to

decide whether to keep the 40/2 M-Rokkor (later CLE version) that I

have with it, or to sell it with the camera. I've read that the 35/1.7

CV Ultron is not as good as current Leica lenses, like the ASPH

Summicron, but that it compares favorably to older lenses. Where do

you think the Ultron falls in the continuum between the M-Rokkor and

the newer lenses? Is replacing the M-Rokkor with the Ultron an

upgrade, a "side"-grade, or a step backwards?

Thanks,

Dave

Personally, I think the 40/2 M-Rokkor gives a much smoother and more pleasing image than what's been published using the Ultron. It's definitely better built.

Finder frames on the Bessa R2 are selected using a lever on top of the body. There's no need to go filing away at the lens mount.

What are your impressions of the R2 v. your old CL?

I dont have a 35 Ultron to make a direct comparison but Its often quoted that both these lenses are the match for the pre ASPH so I dont believe you will gain much optically going to the Ultron. I wouldnt say that all Voigtlander lenses are built below the standard of the 40mm Summicron/Rokkor, as some of the new offerings like the 28 f3.5 is the same size but weighs 50% more and are a cut above some of the others, but one lens that always seems to have construction and handling problems is the 35 Ultron. I see more complaints about the ring comming loose and general build quality issues (not to mention handling problems)than any other Voigtlander lens. I think it spoils the reputation of the rest of the line. On the bright side however the 40 is just too good to consider anything else for the money.<div>003sn5-9844484.JPG.043a3079233c3f019500022b114d82f6.JPG</div>

The M-Rokkor is multi-coated; the Summicron C is not. The M-Rokkor has the standard Leica focusing cam, the C has a more abbreviated, steeper design, though users report no functional difference. Optically believe they are identical.

Search for the Leica CL and Minolta CLE pages and the Leica lens users guide at www.cameraquest.com Most of the information you want is there.

I just came back from hiking in Nepal and are still waiting for my 40 slide films to be developed, mostly shot with the M-Rokkor. I just love that lens on my M2, and the right weight for travelling (I used it much more than either the 50/2 Hexanon and the 35/2.8 Summaron which I also had with me). It even survived a fall on the gravels when I was falling also, and my beloved Leica was sliding on the lens some 5 metres. Ouch, but the lens only got a small scratch on the filter ring (I forgot the newly aquired B&W filter at home, stupid me). The camera lost half of its vulcanite on the one site btw, but the lens which took most of the impact looks almost like new with nothing on the glass ;-) So only highest praises to the M-Rokkor. If you really should decide for the Voigtlaender and the Rokkor is reasonably priced, please come back to me fot it !

• 1 month later...