crooked horizon

laura_g3

<p>Laura,<br>

I was brought up to "follow the rules," when they apply to such things as "Law & Driving my car," but for photography I think the rules are "guidelines" but not necessarily stictly followed!</p>

<p>I would suggest posting the photo in the appropriate category in the "Critiques" section with your initial comment and see what/how other's would view it!</p>

<p>Personally, I too like the composition of the unstraighted one!</p>

<p>I am not too bothered about the horizon or shorelines here. The comment that would come top of my list is that if you had been a bit closer you could have separated the leaping figure from the background and got a more vigorous and dynamic shot. Here is a rough and ready PS example of what I am suggesting. Obviously the sun and the figure then take on different relative positions so this is indicative only. The wonky horizon / shoreline then adds to the vigour of the shot and ends up not really mattering one way or another as the figure is stronger.</p><div>00X6bc-270623784.jpg.bcc1ee81f86321623ea39281da8d4983.jpg</div>

<p>I don't know about 'rules', but I think you'll probably find that crooked works better when it's really crooked--probably better for it to be either straight--or crooked--but not just slightly crooked where it looks like a mistake. In this case, your 'unstraightened' one looks fine, maybe better. Some of the lack of straightness appears to be due to barrel distortion from your lens.</p>

<p>I don't believe in rule and I believe any rule is supposed to help you do better, not to stop you from doing what you feel right.</p>

<p>But maybe it's just me; I feel dizzy looking at the unstraightened picture, as if I am on a shaky boat and I may fall off the boat soon. And that is not all, in fact the main thing is that the picture gave me a strange feeling, a little scary too,... just because ...</p>

<p>I thought it was a huge statue from far away, in the middle of the lake or something (even behind the "horizon"). But who made a statue that looks like that? and why I haven't heard of it at all,...</p>

<p>If it looks accidental then it will be viewed as wrong. <br>

If it looks deliberate it can be viewed as artistic. (not all like it - as not all like tomatoes)<br>

I think yours looks accidental. I frequently make photos of people angled, and no doubt it angled. Not slightly and accidental like. </p>

<p>The crooked one forces my eye to look at the subject and how it relates to the sun and suggests movement...more dynamic. The straighter 'horizon' one looks more ordinary and boring, no matter the leaper and the sun. I won't get into the other attributes of the image, which has several distractions/defects. I will say that in the spirit of the OP, sometimes it's ok to color outside the lines, and as long as you understand the rules (in this case basic composition), it's ok to break them, for effect.</p>

<p>I agree with Colin's vertical crop (emphasizes leaping and height, and ties in the sun more strongly), but I'd have done it in the original aspect ratio to make it more vertical yet, but that's just me.</p>

<p>First, your instincts are good: the picture with the tilted horizon is better balanced than the picture with the straight horizon. Sun and leaping figure are centered, a tree or grove of trees and a sailboat add visual weight at left, and the raised horizon at right balances that weight, while the straight horizon doesn't.<br>

Second, there's more than one way to skin a cat. The cropping below keeps the horizon level and balances the picture. It also adds a little more dynamism because the leaping figure is no longer in a centered (i.e., static) position. It may not be the solution you want, but it's a solution.<br>

Third, to answer your question, yes, you can tilt the horizon when you're making a point about the feeling of vertigo expressed by the leaping figure. I agree with Andrew that the tilt should be definite enough to make your point clearly.</p><div>00X6rc-270849684.jpg.db605dd4145b47b513a0a2c5d782ea6e.jpg</div>

<p>Laura, it's a nice photo either way, but I prefer the corrected version. Nice placement of the subject in front of the sun!</p>

<p>Note that the horizon is also slightly bowed (curved) due to lens distortion. This, too, could be corrected, but it's so slight that you don't really need to bother.</p>

<p>No rules and no photo will be liked by everyone. If you like it, you like it and don't let someone else make you feel bad for it (and I don't mean to say someone is, here, I'm just saying in general IRL or wherever). If someone else doesn't like it, they don't, and are equally entitled. Taste is taste. I like the straight version, myself.</p>

<p>Oh my, I'm a bit overwhelmed but I appreciate this so much! This was my first post and I thought I would get an email when someone responded. Feeling dejected I signed on. I pride myself as a rule follower but I was to distracted by Izzy's leaps. I relate to what James wrote about there being something ok about this shot. I don't want to make anyone sea sick though. uhg. </p>