NY Times Fashion Mag

dave_wilson1

<p>The fall issue of the NY Times Women's Fashions is out today in this weekends NY Times. Looks great, lots of study material for those interested. These are the things I really appreciate and save for future viewing. So in line with the forum, if you do get it, what did you think? I'm going to look through it tommorow as I have a job to work today, big wedding in NJ. Enjoy, Dave</p>

<p>Just great stuff, lesson after lesson to ponder. Here's a few that caught my eye. I really like the back cover, Chanel, the models pale face complexion, black eye makeup and clear left eye, in contrast to the rest of the shot. Early on, Elliot Erwitt nice; classic Burberry; Michael Kors nice mood shot, I like how the split into the two pages, but works alone too; Supima cotton add, clever; p. 83 Remix reminds me of the Arnold Newman Betty Davis classic, but it's a great Schatzberg done for Remix; p. 95 I like the colors and blur with the effects and clear eyes of the center model against the rest; about midway, Madwell nice mood shot; the Loree Rodkin add on 141, clever use of the toned sunglasses against the well detailed black and white. OK my favorites were early on Juicy Couture; much later p. 180-87, the layout by photog Hans Feurer, great classic stuff; finally the "Going Places" layout by photog Mark Segal. So anyway, for me, lots to study and analyze and ponder. Enjoy, Dave.</p>

<p>Yes Marlon, thanks, good suggestion. I can get Vogue easily by me, (I will check Zink also) so I will get it and make another post around Sept 10, maybe others will join in with a few insights on a particular layout, ad or shot they liked or would use as a study point. Personally besides the traditional concepts like posing and lighting etc. I'm interested in post work because I am very new to digital (18 months) and am not that good with the whole thing, yet I see some interesting embelleshments in some ads that are no doubt post work, not in camera. The two mags I've been studying for years are Haarpers and Elle.</p>

<p>Yes, fashion photography / post-processing is a whole different ball game. There aren't very many rules or guidelines to go by. Harper's Bazaar and Elle are both very good magazines to go by. But it depends if you'd like to shoot commercial or editorial. Zink is very editorial, which is more creative than what you see in ads.<br>

I've only recently this year stepped away from the mostly catalogue/commercial stuff I've done to start shooting more fashion. It's definitely a different monster.<br>

A good resource also is this free one: www.fashiongonerogue.com <br>

It's updated daily and will provide inspiration from magazines all over.</p>

<p>Thanks Marlon, great, I will look. Personally I have no point of focus right now, I'm mostly looking to dabble in some new areas and expand my skills in general so I've been renewing my interest in studying the fashion mags for ideas and specific techniques I might want to try.</p>