rocky mountain pictures trip narrowed down

jdemoss99

<p>Ok I have narrowed our trip down to where we are going in Colorado for me to try and capture some pics of the Rockies. I have looked for books online that would answer this question but I have had no luck so I thought I would turn to you guys again for help. I will be going to Estes Park Colorado and staying there October 22nd-24th and going into the Rocky Mountain National Forest. I want to get the following shots.<br>

1. Pics of the Aspens and fileds at the foothills of the Rockies<br>

2. Some nice panoramic scenes of Lakes with mountain back drops<br>

3. panoramic mountain snow cap shots<br>

4. water falls if possible<br>

5. any Rock formations or other points of interest that you would recommend.<br>

I know this is a lot to get in 2 days but want to try. any recommendations will be apprecciated. I have never been to the Rockies and want to make the most of it. any recommendations on a cabin or lodge that may set on the fall river the in estes would be good to. Thanks for the help and look forward to getting some great points of interest from you guys.</p>

It's important to know that Rocky Mountain NP is unusual among NPs in that the best sites are accessible only by hiking.

(Complete opposite of Yellowstone.) The hike from Bear Lake to Odessa Lake and then down is an example. The first

quarter is up, and the rest is down. About 10 - 12 miles in all.

Why the prepared list? These sound like cliches.

Better to be surprised!

For the best light, start very early (6am) or very late. But, as you don't want to miss the shuttles or grt caught in the dark,

make it early.

--Marc

<p>We were just there last month. The Alluvial Fan Falls is a short hike--the easiest waterfall to see in the park. <br>

Two days is a very short time to get used to the altitude--it may be wise to avoid Trail Ridge road that goes to 12,000 feet--altitude sickness is quite common.</p>

<p>I agree with what is being said so far. Opportunities will present themselves. That place is literally crawling with elk so you will see more than a few of them.<br>

Snow will be hit or miss - sometimes there's some snow sticking up high by then and sometimes not. Sometimes I ski bottomless powder on Halloween, and sometimes I can ride high alpine on my mountain bike into mid-November. Personally, I'm hoping for something more like the bottomless powder scenario this year! :)<br>

Also, be prepared. Put a jacket, hat & gloves (light ones can pack down really small), space blanket, extra food, headlamp, and means to start a fire in your pack even if it looks totally clear when you start out. Things can change very fast and people get lost enough to spend the night out all the time. Those few items can make a huge difference and possibly save your life. Hydrate really well too.<br>

Enjoy!</p>

<p>We were just there end of June/early July.</p>

<p>You can get many shots just driving the park road and up over <strong>Trail Ridge Rd</strong>.</p>

<p>Bear Lake sits practically at the end of a parking lot as well as Sprague Lake. Both have mountain backdrops.</p>

<p>Alberta Falls is probably one of the easiest falls to walk to.</p>

<p>The best spots/shots are miles in as we hiked about 85 miles. But we were there to hike/fish and shoot pics while doing those.</p>

<p>Dream Lake is only a mile or so hike one way. You actually hit Nymph Lake before Dream and then can go on to Emerald Lake another 0.7 miles for a total of about 3.5 miles round trip. And there are cutthroat trout in Dream that occassionally show themselves to photogtaphers.</p>

<p>Moraine Park is meadows with aspens and The Big Thompson River meandering through it with occassional elk.</p>

<p>Beaver Meadows area as well.</p>

<p>Trail Ridge Rd has some easy hikes such as The Ute Trail and Rock Cut. Everything is wide open. And we saw elk on the Ute Trail. I have pics I have put on the last POW with more to come, but I will be away for the next 1 maybe 2 POW's.<br>

Rock Cut is a rock formation that frames the very famous Long's Peak and they recommend best shooting in the evening as Longs Peak and Rock Cut get illuminated from the sun behind you.</p>

<p>Just expect a lot of people unless you get into the park early or get off the beaten path.</p>

<p>You could definitely hit some snow. It snowed the night of July 7 and Trail Ridge Rd was closed for a couple of hours in the morning. Actually, I'm not sure when, but it may close some time in the fall. Check The RMNP website</p>