Senior Pictures - Wallet Die-Cut Question???

timmyp

<p>So, I usually order my prints through mpix and as I am more of a beginner photographer I ordered a sheet of 4 wallets die-cut to see how they turned out. Well, I didn't realize how much of the actual photo is cut off. One picture I have that I'm sure they will order has really no room for anything to be cropped off (the first letter of the last name on the letter jacket is very close to touching the bottom of the photograph - it wouldn't look right not having the whole name as that was kind of the point of the pic). Has anyone encountered this problem with one of your photos? Is there a fix to this, like adding a frame around it or something? PLEASE HELP!<br /> <br />Thank you ALL for your help<br /> Tim</p>

<p>When I'm concerned about the cropping on an image I'm sending for wallets, I'll crop in PS (without resizing, just crop to the 2.5 x 3.5 aspect ratio), then allow 1/8 of an inch around the image for the die cut. If it is close, I'll either not order them as die cut, or come up with another solution. As you shoot more, try to train yourself to allow for crop room. We present everything as 4x5 proofs (or that ratio in the proof book), so we've all had to be diligent about allowing crop room. It saves a LOT of headaches later. </p>

<p>mpix provides an order proofing tool either at selection or at shopping cart review. It does a very nice job (IMHO) of showing where the crop will be and allows you to resize or adjust the photo to miss the cut lines.</p>

<p>When I'm shooting seniors - I always make sure to leave crop room on all four sides of the image.</p>

<p>Dave</p>