Adding backlighting?

<p>Can someone explain to me how this is done? I've seen it in some other local photographers' images, and clients really seem to like it. I know two particular photographers who are way too booked to be shooting every session at the golden hour with the sun behind trees and behind the subjects, but the bulk of their images look that way. I've got CS3, so I'd like to know how to do it with that software. I also find an issue dealing with "milky" images sometimes when I shoot that way legitimately. Although the photographers I'm referencing do post some milky images, as well, I don't care for that effect.</p>

<p>Patrick, if you see this thread, you did a little bit of the effect I'm looking for on page 3 of the following link and you called it "kick light." </p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00WsNN?start=0</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for any advice!</p>

<p>Back lighting is usually done by pointng a light at the subject's back. You may for example put a light directly behind the model and the resulting spill of the light will make the hair glow with a bright ring around it. When you place a light at 45 degrees angle from behind/side of the subject you will start to see the rim light that helps accent the edges of the model. Pretty easy stuff, just look up portrait lighting techniques here or on your favorite search engine and you'll see the how to and resulting images.</p><div>00X68w-270237584.thumb.jpg.d6919b0953eb9176d2061c29e8b73094.jpg</div>