Sunday musings: if you only had two lenses, what would they be?

<p>Yes, it's time for some armchair photography again. Sure, it's soft subject matter but at least we aren't wondering why the Leica forum is dying or empty or whatever.</p>

<p>My answer: CV 35/1.4 and Leica 75/2.5.</p>

<p>The 35mm is quite flexible, but for portraits I would need the 75mm.</p>

<p>35/1.4 ASPH and 75/1.4 for me. The 35 is the best general purpose lens in the Leica lineup -- it is wide enough to serve as a wide angle lens in most situations, but it also can be used as a normal lens (even with some cropping if necessary), it is nice and sharp wide open and not as critical with focus as the 50/1.4's, so it is better for low light. The 75/1.4 is an amazing portrait lens and is more flexible than the more recent 75/2 in that it has two different "looks" built in. Wide open it is slightly soft and dreamy from residual aberrations. But stop it down to 2.5 or 2.8 and it is already very very sharp. At 5.6 and above it is just as sharp as the new 75/2 (which is to say, extremely sharp). So it serves as a softer portrait lens, a low light lens, and a nice sharp short telephoto, all in one lens. Between the two, there are few things you can't photograph (at least that you could photograph with a Leica otherwise). </p>

<p>Contax Carl Zeiss 45mm f/2 G Planar, CZ 90mm f/2.8 G Sonnar.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>at least we aren't wondering why the Leica forum is dying or empty</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Empty? The equipment chat seems slower but the picture threads seem well attended with terrific photography being shown. Very inspirational. </p>

<p>My two would probably be chosen from the lenses I already own:<br>

<ul>

<li>Early M-mount 50mm f/2 rigid Summicron. It's fast enough, sharp enough, handles nicely, and draws

pleasingly. Maybe it's not going to set many pulses racing but it's a fine all-rounder.</li>

<li>Screw-mount Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar. Often I like to shoot *wide* and then nothing

else will do. Rangefinder coupling is for wusses (as are 52mm filters).</li>

</ul>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why armchair photography? Is the weather so boringly sunny again?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Where I am it's over 38º C (100º F) and about 100% relative humidity. You need a weather-sealed camera and lenses just to keep the sweat out.</p>