Does Anyone Know Elfa?

<p>I acquired this to add my burgeoning collection of old light meters, objects I find really fascinating. I bought it because I'd never heard of the brand, and the reputable seller acknowledged that he'd never seen one before, though he thought it might be of Swiss manufacture, and described it as "A little gem". He was right; the design and construction of the little instrument is just superb, and it's still working accurately. It's very small and very heavy, weighing almost as much as a Weston Master which is half as big again. I've included a couple of Q-Tips in the accompanying pics, to give some idea of it's size.<br /><br />I can find no reference or information on any of my usual sources of light meter information; I even waded through all the photographs on the Flickr Exposure Meter Pool in the hope of finding something the same or similar, but to no avail. There is a giant North European distributor of electronic and electrical supplies named Elfa, but I can find no link to them or any hint that they may have manufactured or dealt in such objects. Does anyone have any knowledge that could help me determine it's age and place of manufacture?</p>

<p>According to a book I've got (in French so I have to go by internet translations), the manufacturer is ELFA and this model is an Elfalux. Selenium meter from 1953. They made second version in 1954 which is virtually identical but it has a white case and a little bit different calculator wheel.<br>

The book says it's Austrian, which is new to me. I don't recall any other photoelectrics from there.<br>

An google search for Elfa picked up this: https://www.elfa.se/elfa3/index.jsp They claim to be a distributor. They may have made a deal with a company to produce them branded with the Elfa name. I haven't see any others which look like this particular meter, but I'll keep my eyes open. If I find another meter which looks like it, that may tell us more about where it originated.<br>

Don't know what the value would be. That's the first one I've seen. Very pretty. Most of the American stuff from that era was black and silver.</p>

<p>Got it. Found it in my book. It's protected PDF so I can't screen cap it. I was able to find one on the internet.<br>

The Elfa is a rebadged Akalux, which was made by AKG (Akustische- und Kino-Geräte) in Vienna in 1953. AKG is still in business but they just make acoustic equipment now.<br>

Here's a webpage that mentions it: http://www.photohistory.at/zubehoer5.htm The photo has a color cast on it; it's a black case and clear plastic, with a black calculator dial. If you scroll down a little more, there's the Elfalux version.<br>

How did I survive before the internet???</p>

<p>Amazing....Many thanks, James. An "ELFA-Spezial L20", a version of the Akalux by AKG, certainly appears to be the meter, in a different livery. As you point out, without the Internet this fact would have a remained a mystery, probably for the rest of my days. I appreciate your time and efforts, and I'm sure other forum members will be as impressed as I am!</p>

<p>It's an attractive thing.</p>

<p>I should know better than to ask but does it still work? :P</p>

<p>I've picked up a surprising number of meters thrown in by sellers of a camera plus lens group. Never any of the old DDR meters (I think, they were sold in the USA by Ercona importers, and such). though.</p>

<p><strong>JDM</strong>, it works like a charm, seems to agree with my more modern meters, and feels <em>so</em> good in the hand, like a little ingot. It's just a lovely little instrument, <strong>Tony</strong>, and the jewel box sort of accentuates it's glitzy look. I really feel that these old meters are just so collectible, and an important adjunct to classic cameras. James Ollinger's site is totally fascinating, well worth a visit.</p>

<p>I just registered on this site to try and find a new home for a Fujica 35 EE- in trying to find out about the camera I read Rick Drawbridge's comments on it. Mr. Drawbridge, I apologize if this is not procedurally the correct way to contact you, I am not literate in the ways of online etiquette, but I would like to see this camera (inherited and not being appreciated or used) find a new home. Thanks.</p>