Printing photos

s.l._z.

<p>For 8x10's, I print them myself on a high quality pigment printer, using fancy-pants paper. That way I know <em>exactly</em> what they're going to look like, and have complete control over everything from the finish to the margins (if appropriate) ... and I know that they're not going to be scratched, streaked, or otherwise messed up by the assembly line at a cheap printing operation. <br /><br />I'm more than happy to let Costco print stuff when I want it to cost next to nothing, I'm not super critical about the color matching, and I want to have it in hand when I'm done picking up vegetables and cheese. But when I really care, I print them myself. If you don't want to invest in quality printing hardware, but have the occasional customer for whom you really want to get it right, use an outfit like Millers Lab, or their sister operation, MPIX. They turn the stuff around very quickly, and can even drop ship to your clients.</p>

<p>Although I don't have a printer, I'm fortunate to have a Wolf / Ritz camera store nearby. They do all of my printing. I think an 8 x 10 costs around four dollars, usually available in a couple of hours. Because I'm a regular customer, the service couldn't be better! One time I had them do a few 11 x 14 prints, mounted on foamcore. One of the prints had a very minor problem with pixillation near a corner. They offered to reprint at no charge, if I wanted to crop out the bad part (which was MY fault!). That's customer service.</p>

<p>If you want them to look professional, then you need a professional to print them. Professional the walmart lab is not. Along with all the other instore labs like it. I used to get so frustrated with the results I got and would think it was all me. Then I tried a proper lab and have never looked back. </p>

<p>If you want to invest in some gear and learn the art of printing, then have at it. Understand that printing is an art in its self, I don't have the time or money to spend trying to perfect it. So I use pro labs.</p>

<p>Several mentioned above can work nicely. </p>

<p>Jason </p>

<p>Either buy a high quality photo printer (not an "all in one" or a regular printer), or have the prints done at a pro lab. Walmart/Target/Ritz prints are okay for personal use, but if you intend to exhibit or sell them, a high quality printer or pro lab is the way to go. I exhibit and sell my prints, and I'll print anything up to 8 x 10 myself, anything bigger is done by the pros.</p>