Tamron repair experience for Err99?

thomas_dannhauser

<p>Canon Rebel Xti with Tamron 17-50/2.8. I have recently been getting frequent Err99 codes accompanying lockup of the camera when this lens is attached; it has worked flawlessly for many years prior. I have cleaned contacts, shutdown and reset the camera, replaced batteries, etc., with no improvement. I do NOT have this problem when using another lens, so believe the problem is originating somewhere in my Tamron lens. I am considering sending the lens back to Tamron for repair. Has anyone else has had a similar experience, and did the repair fixed your Err99 problem? Thanks!</p>

<p>An alternative to repair might be to find one of the newer Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS lenses. It's slower (f/3.5-), but the IS is nice to have.<br>

The non-STM version of the EF-S IS has sold recently on eBay for $60-70. Only about $100 in "white box" (ex-kit) new. Most lens repairs will cost more than that. The Canon EF-S f/2.8 seems to be going for around $500 used. Your Tamron seems to be going used for something like $200-300, depending on the model and the tides.<br>

I'd call Tamron to see what they charge for a look at it.</p>

<p>JDM -- thanks for your suggestion. I see KEH has some of the later versions of the Canon kit lens for ~$70-80, and I agree that may be the most economical solution. I think a few years ago the difference in optical quality between the Tamron 17-50 and one of the kit 18-55 lenses would be have so different that the extra cost to fix the Tamron would have been justified. Now... probably not.</p>