d700 mirror up

phuduc

<p>I don't know if the d700 can do this or not but I am trying to learn more about hdr photography. I know that you can setup the d700 to mirror up and then depress the shutter button again to take the photo to minimize shake and get sharper images for landscapes. With regards to hdr and bracketing. can you set the d700 to mirror up and have it automatically blast off 3 shots for an hdr image or is it better to take each shot individually, thanks. i hope I explained my question adequately.</p>

<p>Although it means buying another small bit of kit, rather than pressing the shutter release button after putting the mirror up, it's far better to use a remote release - either an electronic cable release or a wireless/infra-red trigger. That way no finger movement is transmitted to the body+ tripod. And any movement between pictures will be bad for what you want to do. And closing the shutter blind on the D700 when your eye is away from the viewfinder stops inadvertent underexposure.</p>

<p>Tom, check Custom Setting d9: Exposure Delay Mode.</p>

<p>Since the way the Nikon Custom Setting menu works is that you select the group a, b, c ... first and then go down from, e.g. c1 to c2 to c3 .... d9 is near the bottom of group d. So I enter group f and then move up a couple of items to have faster access to d9.</p>

<p>I don't like to carry an extra remote cord around, so I just use the delay. 1 second is more than enough for any mirror slap and figure press induced vibration to die down. In fact, I prefer the 0.4-second delay on the D2X and D200.</p>

<p>In addition to the Exposure Delay, also use the self-timer so you can let any finger-induced camera motion to die down before the shutter is fired. Of course if the scene is slightly moving, this could introduce more delay between shots and ghosting in HDR results.</p>

<p>As long as you are stacking commands, you can use shutter delay and then Interval Timer to automate the whole HDR series. Set 5 (or 7) exposure brackets with a 1 stop difference. Then set an equal number of shots in the Interval Timer command, with some brief time interval ( I use 1 sec). Then you can set it up and just wait for the whole series to blow through.</p>