Mamiya Quatra back for RZ Pro ii with a 140mm lens

chloe_borkett

<p>So it's time for me to get a dedicated portrait camera. I do a lot of documentary work mainly working with the Mamiya 7ii - gorgeous camera but for formal portraits, I need something else. So I've decided on the Pro ii body with the 140mm lens. I suppose what really one me over was the possibility of shooting 4x5. Can someone explain this 4x5 back thingy to me? I have a project coming up which demands large-format but I can't afford another camera, would this back suffice? What's the pro's and con's?<br>

If anyone can help I would be really greatful.<br>

Thanks in advance,</p>

<p>Nahm</p>

<p>Chloe, be careful that you aren't buying an expensive, and now useless paper weight.</p>

<p>I don't believe the ready-load [sheet film], or [instant film] packs are made for the "Quadra" or "545i" backs anymore.<br /> Remember also, the usable image size rendered by the RZ is only going to be 2 3/4 inch square (w/o a mask), not 4X5 inches.</p>

<p>The standard Polaroid backs are another type of back available, and Fuji still makes [instant film] that works well in those backs.</p>

<p>The option of having single sheet exposure capability, and with that, the ability for custom developing of a single image on sheet film, well, with the RZ, it is not as easily available today as it was 20, or even 10 years ago.</p>

<p>Chloe,<br>

while the Quadra or 545i back can use 4x5 readyload film, it only results in 72 x 72 mm images. Readyload film has been phased out and is very hard to find these days. In addition, the Quadra back is the only one without film speed dial, therefore autoexposure with the AE prism is not possible. The regular Polaroid back still works, because Fuji makes several film packs for it. It also has the same film format as the Quadra back unless you use the hard to find 6x7 masks, but of course you can't create slides with that back, as there is no slide film for it. I think Marc's paperweight comment for the Quadra back is quite valid.<br>

Christoph</p>

• 3 weeks later...