Visible Dust sensor cleaning product question

jpb

<p>I’ve been using the Visible Dust line of product for a few years to clean my DLSR sensor. It seem that each time I pick up the product (usually at Adorama) I’ve had to alternate between their two types of swabs (Green: Ultra MXD-100 Vswab® and Orange: DHAP- Vswab®), depending on what was in stock. Recently, I had to get the Orange swabs.</p>

<p>I just read thorough the Visible Dust website and found that both swabs are listed at the same price, and the only discernable difference between them is that that Orange are only compatible with The V Dust liquid, and not the Smear Away.</p>

<p>I have both liquids and use them alternatively for different types of sensor contaminants, and I’m sure at some point I’ll forget which swab is compatible with which fluid.</p>

<p>I’m halfway tempted to buy the green swabs online every time, rather than in the stores, where I usually buy my stuff, just to be sure I get the swab with maximum compatibility, but these things are expensive (like $3 a pop), so I’d prefer to use the new Orange box I just bought, which, if I’m lucky, could last me the year.</p>

<p>Can anyone elucidate me about the distinction between these products? And, aside from fluid compatibility, are there any camera compatibility issues with either, specifically with Canon EOS?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

James</p>

<p>I only have speculation to offer. The Smear Away liquid may not absorb into the orange pads properly and perhaps gets dislodged onto the sensor in droplets that may leave some residue.<br>

I have two complaints about the green pads: first, the edge is not flat (the corners are longer than the middle, i.e. corners are protruding) so the middle looses contact with sensor before I reach the end. Second, they tend to leave a lot of loose fibers and other crud (!) that requires cleaning with a brush afterwards. The manual even says so ("for complete cleaning, optionally use dust brush after using the swab" or something to that effect - WTH? For $3 a pop?). It usually takes me a few applications of the brush to clean up the dust after cleaning with the green swabs. </p>

<p>I have wondered about that for some time so I just did a google search and found this <a href="http://www.visibledust.com/Wet%20Cleaning%20Manual.pdf">cleaning manual</a> on the visible dust site. In the question and answer section it states.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Q: How do the Green and Orange swabs differ?A: The difference between our DXM-100 (Green) and DHAP(Orange) swabs is the type of fabric used in assembly. TheGreen swabs are compatible with all of our sensor cleaningsolutions, so when in doubt purchase the green. If you preferto clean with isopropyl alcohol, then purchase the Orangeswabs. Orange swabs also work best with VDust™ Plus.</p>

</blockquote>