Best Light Meter for its Price

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I'm looking to get a light meter for my cameras that don't have a built in meter in the viewfinder. What would be the best option for a light meter? I do some film/cinematography work too, so I'd like to find a meter that can work for metering for that too. I know there's the Gossen DigiPro, but I'm trying to find something a little less expensive than that.</p>

<p>Anyone know of one? Thanks.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What would be the best option for a light meter?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A used Sekonic L-508 (or something newer if you can afford it).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm trying to find something a little less expensive than that.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Old, cheap but good: Minolta Autometer III (has its limits, though).</p>

<p>I agree, a Gossen Luna Pro SBC is a nice meter. It takes modern batteries. It's big and easy to read. It is capable of doing a lot of things right out of the box, but you can also buy some attachments for it. They're easily available used for a good price. <br>

There are two problems with them: they're analog (it has a needle) and a lot of people want digital. And it's complicated: you'll need to read the manual to figure out how to run it. If you take the time to learn it, it will pay off; you'll learn more about photography and exposure than you probably would otherwise.<br>

If you do buy something you're going to seriously use, I suggest buying it from someone you trust (a camera store or a friend). Someone who'll check it out and verify that it's accurate and working properly. I wouldn't want to lay out a lot of money on a used meter and find out that it's screwed up -- getting them fixed can cost more than many are worth.<br>

I would absolutely avoid buying an antique unless it's just for fun, solely because they're less likely to be reliably accurate.</p>