Tokina 12-24 f4 DX or DX II? I got the DX...

peter_n1664876959

<p>After reading a couple of recent threads <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00WemD" target="_blank">here</a> and <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00Wjkk" target="_blank">here</a> as well as many other threads, I ordered the DX version from B&H on Thursday. It was delivered yesterday and I tested it this morning. It behaves very similarly to many reviewers’ reports, a typical one <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tokina_12-24_4_n15/" target="_blank">is here</a>. Excellent performance 12-22, a bit soft at 24 but stopping down fixes it completely. Its strength is the wider end and middle but as you go longer stopping down cures all ills. Very sharp, great build quality, has fast focus and handles well on my Fuji S5. Both B&H and Adorama have the weight wrong, they list it at 570g but the spec with my lens lists it at 515g and the DX II at 540g. I guess Tokina used lighter composites in later versions of the DX.<br /><br />The DX version of the lens is still in stock at both B&H and Adorama for $400. It sells on eBay for more, in some cases a lot more. Shipping is free in the US from both stores. Only the DX II is available for the Canon mount. I'm not sure about this but it's possible that Tokina may also discontinue this first Nikon version of the lens. If you're thinking about the lens but on the fence about which version to buy, this thing works great on what is essentially a D200 and the focus is really fast and quiet, so it's a good deal from both these NYC stores. After a day of intensive use the lens looks like a keeper.</p>

<p> I suspect the newer model lens was brought out so that the lower priced Nikons without motor could use the lens. I have the older Tokina 12-24 f4 without the motor that I use on my D200 and I have been very pleased with it. I also like the focus clutch thing on the lens. It is very useful.</p>

<p>I like the focus clutch on my 11-16 better than AF-S over-ride to be honest with you. It's my favorite way of switching from AF to MF that I've ever used. I think only Tokina uses it, except for one or two Tamron lenses. It's awesome.</p>

<p>Glad you're loving it!</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I just want to add a coda for future readers of this thread. After saying in my first original post that the lens looked like a keeper I sent it back. The performance at 24mm and f4 is such that you have to stop it down to get an acceptable picture. I use a Fuji S5 which isn't great at high ISO and for the kind of shooting I do this lens doesn't work for me at 24mm, and I'd bought it primarily to work at that end of its focal range. So I sent it back and bought a Nikkor 24/2.8 prime and now I have the performance I want.</p>

<p>The Tokina 12-24/4 DX is an amazing lens, I was stunned at the 12mm/f4 performance and I can understand the raves the lens gets for its wider end. But if your interest is mostly in the longer end of its focal length I suggest you look elsewhere. Not at the Nikkor 12-24 either as I understand the the Tokina is better than the Nikkor at 24mm. That's why I bought the 24/2.8 prime.</p>