How do I find which of my photos have high ratings

leighb

<p>I've posted several photos for critique and rating, and a couple of them have received high scores (6 or 7).</p>

<p>How do I determine which photos received these ratings, without looking at each of my photos individually?</p>

<p>It would be nice if we had a list like the "Top photos of the past 24 hours" that would allow a member to look at his own photos, sorted by rating or other criteria. I don't believe such a function currently exists. This should be fairly easy to program.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Well, maybe not exactly what you want but from the P.net tabs go <strong>Gallery>Top-rated Photos> and then select a time span</strong> from the menu will give you the actual top rated photos, but not necessarily your own.</p>

<p>Hi Lupo,</p>

<p>Yes, that does work; I didn't realize the ratings were shown along with the other details.</p>

<p>Very few of my pix have ratings so far, so I had not seen that.</p>

<p>Thank you very much.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>I think Leigh puts a very good suggestion on the table that only partly can be satisfied by looking at each photo, photo by photo.<br>

When PN developers find the time it would be good to create a tool which permits to have a view of all photos of one member that have received ratings ranked by levels or dates of demand of critiques/ratings and/or by categories.<br>

Fred whether Leigh has been rating other photos or not must be a question of less relevance here. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Leigh, giving ratings is as important as getting ratings. Since someone only gets when someone else gives. You've got 53 ratings to date and given only 1. That's a huge disparity.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Fred,</p>

<p>I'm devastated that my behavior does not meet with your approval. I shall immediately undergo penance to purge myself of these sins.</p>

<p>I just figured out that ratings existed a couple of days ago. I hardly think my counts, either as recipient or initiator, are any of your concern. If my behavior here is unacceptable for any reason, I'm sure Josh will advise me thereof.</p>

<p>Perhaps you could find better uses for your time than criticizing other members.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Leigh,<br>

Fred’s suggestion to rate more photographs in PN has a definite relationship to the solution of your problem regarding viewing of your highly rated images. I think, Fred did not try to criticize your behavior in PN. He just wanted to show you how to get more number of ratings on your photographs. Any photograph that receives more than 10 ratings from other members (at least 11) is marked as “most frequently-rated photo”. The most frequently-rated photos of your portfolio may be viewed if you click on “most frequently-rated photos of this member” that may be found in your “Photographer Ratings” page. The most frequently-rated photos are not exactly the highest rated photos. But you may get an approximate list of your highly rated photos. None of the photos of your portfolio has received 11 ratings from other 11 members. So there is no list of “most frequently-rated photos” in your page "Photographer Ratings - Leigh B.". So, I think, Fred has suggested you to rate more number of photographs in PN to get a list of “most frequently-rated photos” which may solve your problem partially.<br>

Best regards </p>

<p > </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any photograph that receives more than 10 ratings from other members (at least 11) is marked as “most frequently-rated photo”. The most frequently-rated photos of your portfolio may be viewed if you click on “most frequently-rated photos of this member” that may be found in your “Photographer Ratings” page. The most frequently-rated photos are not exactly the highest rated photos. But you may get an approximate list of your highly rated photos. None of the photos of your portfolio has received 11 ratings from other 11 members. So there is no list of “most frequently-rated photos” in your page "Photographer Ratings - Leigh B.".</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hi Sumon,</p>

<p>OK. This is what I was looking for and could not find.</p>

<p>So the question becomes... How do other members see my photos to rate them in the first place?</p>

<p>The only way that can happen that I've identified is to submit photos for critique, which I have done with those I thought were worthy of consideration. But using that method, viewers only see a random sample of 100 of the photos submitted, and then only for 24 hours (I think). After that they disappear.</p>

<p>The other way to view new photos is the Top photos of the last 24 hours in the Gallery. But those are only from the top-rated photographers. If you haven't gotten a lot of ratings, there's no way your photos will show up there, and if they don't show up, they can't get a lot of ratings.</p>

<p>I'm confused.</p>

<p>Thanks for the response.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Hi Sumon,</p>

<p>That was informative. Thanks very much. I appreciate you finding that thread.</p>

<p>To all:<br>

I guess my question has changed, based on information in this thread, to:<br>

Why are ratings not accessible for all rated photos, rather than only those that have more than a certain number of ratings?<br>

The count restriction is indefensible. The information is in the database. There should be a link on my workspace page to view it.</p>

<p>I'm interested in every rating I get. Even a single rating for a particular photo can be instructive. I'm sure most other members, particularly the newer ones who are not yet "Top-Rated", would like to see every rating. That's how we improve our skills, which after all is the supposed intent.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Hi Sumon,</p>

<p>Yes, I could do that.</p>

<p>But it's a ridiculous amount of effort to get a simple bit of information that could easily be provided automatically by the site.</p>

<p>Thanks for the suggestion.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Leigh...historically, the PhotoNet administration has always maintained that ratings are for the purpose of ordering submitted photographs as they appear in the Galleries. In other words, ratings are food for the computers that run the Gallery views and less for human consumption. Since this function seems to be happily digested by the system already it is unlikely that highly taxed programming resources would be expended to do as you request. Regards.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...it is unlikely that highly taxed programming resources would be expended to do as you request.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In fact the change is trivially easy.</p>

<p>There's a conditional in the code that says<br /> <strong>if numratings > 10 and numraters > 10 then display rating link</strong><br /> All that's needed is to remove the conditional. Five seconds with any decent text editor.</p>

<p>Or it could be done more cleanly with<br /> <strong>minnum = 10</strong><br /> <strong>if numratings > minnum and numraters > minnum then display rating link</strong><br /> in which case you change minnum from 10 to 0</p>

<p>If someone wants to send me the relevant file I'll be happy to make the change myself.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>One more history lesson Leigh. I have observed over the years that newcomers to this site who start criticizing the way it is programmed are not listened to with the attention that they desire. Don't you suppose that Jin and Company are fully aware of every nuance in the code that makes things happen here? Why don't you just drop him a polite email with your request and let the matter rest. Regards.</p>