Using d90 for bird flight photography

florian_lauffer

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Shun: </strong>As I pointed out earlier, bird photography, along with indoor sports photography, is demanding on equipment. If you would like to pursue those areas, be prepared to spend some money on big and fast lenses as well as DSLR bodies with excellent AF capability. You don't have to buy the most expensive camera and lenses immediately, but as you gradually notice the limitation of your equipment, you'll want the better ones. In contrast, if you shoot landscape, some old and inexpensive camera can get the job done; you neither need fast AF nor those fast long lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Too true.</p>

<p>But, having said that, I think starting with the D90 and a tele lens of some sort needn't prevent you from getting some success at bird / BIF photography. I found the D90+300f4 to be very usable for me, and I am learning and developing with this combo. I am sure it has it's limitations, but for the most part I haven't hit that wall consistently yet (only occassionally) - and I am convinced that having equipment limitations is actually a good way of learning, so long as those limitations don't get too disheartening.</p>

<p>My limited experience of shooting birds has demonstrated that the single most important thing to learn, is about the birds themselves, their habits, habitats etc. as well as stalking techniques - and above all else, to develop a healthy dose of patience :)</p>

<p>Good luck,<br>

Martin</p>

<p>I also have a D90 and the biggest difference I noticed between it and the D300 bodies that some of my fellow Birds in Flight workshop (<a href="http://www.raymondbarlow.com/">http://www.raymondbarlow.com/</a>) participants used was the difference in frames per second. I could only manage 5 fps while I believe the D300 series shoots up to 8 fps. My buffer filled quickly and caused some slowing at the end of the series of shots as well. <br>

Because I cannot afford a big Nikon prime telephoto, I'm working with a 150 - 500 f5 - 6.3 APO DG OS HSM Sigma that, while lacking in the finest quality glass, I am able to use handheld with birds in flight. See examples <a href="http://www.redbubble.com/people/naturegirl99/art/5141521-1-harris-hawk-in-flight">here</a> and <a href="http://www.redbubble.com/people/naturegirl99/art/5141422-1-barn-owl-in-flight">here</a>. </p>

<p>I haven't read every word in this thread, but don't see mention of what the shutter speed is for the unsatisfactory flight shot results. You will need a fast shutter to 'stop' the subject, no matter what lens you use. That is the first item I would check... crank up the shutter speed using the equipment at hand, especially since static subjects seem to be ok for you with that lens + TC combo. Just a thought.</p>

<p>I agree with both of Shun's posts. As a Nikon nature shooter, I want to stress/recommend the following investments for you:<br>

1. Upgrade your D 90 to a D 300s or add a D 300s. It will make a big difference.<br>

2. Buy a Nikon 300mm f 2.8 AFS lens or a 300mm f 4.0 AFS lens, not the older AF versions. <br>

If you are strong and can hand hold the 300mm f 2.8 get it.<br>

3. Forget completely about the Nikon 80-400mm zoom lens. AF is so slow. <br>

4. Set exposure manually per Art Morris reasoning and recommendations. <br>

Backround changes; bird doesn't. Shutter speed needs to be fast, usually 1/1000. <br>

5. Set C not S. Shoot in High frames per second. Use fast CF cards. Shoot RAW. <br>

Joe Smith<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>Nancy, those two are very nice images, but I cannot evaluate sharpness from small JPEGs. Moreover, I wonder what percentage of sharp birds-in-flight images you typically get with a slow zoom on the D90. Nikon auto focus is designed to work with lenses that are at least f5.6. When your lens is max f6.3, AF may hunt a bit even under broad daylight.</p>

<p>For a couple of years, my best DSLR body was the D2X, which also maxes out a 5 frames/second. You should be able to get by with 5 although 8 to 10 fps is better for capturing action. At the present time, from Nikon, the D300 or D300S with a DX sensor is the ideal camera for bird photography. Canon's 7D should play that same role.</p>