Is the 550D Screen scratch-proof?

aamir_h

No plastic or glass screens are scratch proof. A careless belt buckle, metal button or scrape from a hard and/or sharp

object will mar them. If you wear western style buckles or buttons you'll also scratch the he'll out of camera body too.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>On a 5D screen, I got a new one, didn't quite get it in right, it came off, and when I opened the camera it fell out onto the floor and I rolled the wheel of my fancy Aeron chair over it. So I can testify from actual empirical experience that the 5D screen, at least, can be marred, if not scratched.</p>

<p>Are you asking because you scratched it and are seeing if you are covered by warranty somehow?<br>

If your are asking because you want to protect your investment, get a screen protector, the same kind they make for smart phones. I think hoodman is the company that makes a plastic door for the screen, you may consider that. I honestly don't bother because if my screen is in the situation to get damaged, then the whole camera is at a lot of risk, and usually, (save a flight in a blackhawk) I don't like to do that.</p>

<p>I actually have a screen protector, but I was just wondering. I got one because my last camera got scratches just by brushing on my jacket whilst it was strapped round my neck. With this being a huge screen I didn't want anything going wrong.</p>

<p>Ah, I assumed you were talking about the <em>focusing</em> screen, not the LCD on the back of the camera.</p>

<p>Yes, they scratch. If you chimp all the time, use one of those stick on protectors, if'n you-all don't (per Puppy Face) than uze wun uv those pop-up protectors like Hoodman, Delkin, eFile, whatever.</p>

<p>I think key to this discussion is that Canon supplies new original screen covers for little money. I've never bought one from them but that is what I've heard. I don't know how they are replaced but I've heard it's a simple task. Anyone ever done that with the original screen?<br>

When I got my first DSLR I bought a screen protector for it. Haven't used one since. The camera usually goes obsolete before the screen gets badly scratched.</p>

<p>The "screen" is a user replaceable part that costs less than "high quality" "screen protectors." You should note from all of the quotation marks that you are better off simply using your camera and replacing the the OEM protector when you somehow scratch it to make it unusable. I've done about a thousand hiking miles with a 7D, a 50D, or an XTI thrown over my shoulder. Lots of small scratches, but nothing annoying or irritating. In fact, the very expensive "protector" I used with my XTI trapped moisture and created a small amount of annoying glare. Thankfully, it fell off and disappeared after a couple months. </p>

<p>Hi Aamir,<br>

Yes, the LCD screen at the back of the camera does scratch, although they're pretty resistant to scratches most of the time. Watch your buttons, belt or bag as they continually brush against the back of the camera. A lot of people buy LCD protectors, but personally I dislike them spoiling the display with their reflective nature. As one poster suggested, it's not expensive to buy a replacement for the Canon LCD cover, but it's the workmanship charge for dismantling the camera just to replace the cover that costs a lot.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As one poster suggested, it's not expensive to buy a replacement for the Canon LCD cover, but it's the workmanship charge for dismantling the camera just to replace the cover that costs a lot.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No disassembly of camera needed other than plate/cover removal.<br>

<br />Use a suction cup to pull off the old LCD plate/cover. It's held on with double stick tape. Clean off the old tape. Lay down the newtape. Press new plate into place. It's about a 10 minute job if you're slow moving like me. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter