Those M42 cameras are Dangerous

<p>This is as bad as having an Addiction , well I guess it is , Here it the Last of the M42 Cameras Which is a Vivitar 420/SL with a Vivitar lens 55mm F-2.8 Auto which by the way came on the Praktica super TL 1000 so now the lens has a home on the Vivitar and the praktica will get the Asahi Pentax 50mm F-1.4 for it:<br /> This camera is like new has had a case on it since it was bought I would venture to guess, there is some brass showing but it looks more like it flaked off than worn off, also go the Manual for it which is a great bonus.<br>

So time will tell as to what I get in the way of fotos from all my M42 cameras, That s three of them and should be the last also, well for a good while I hope: LOL</p><div>00X1WO-266957684.jpg.04bab3b9fd517b9640bd7d66dd38d416.jpg</div>

<p>There is a special M42 room in purgatory for guys like us with the screw mount habit, Lauren. I see we'll have to make room for Les, too. Were doomed to spend part of eternity in the Sisyphean task of spinning pristine lenses onto mint bodies...that never mount. They just keep spinning.</p>

<p>Here on earth, you've got yourself a nice one there. Those Vivitars were built like tanks. I hope you'll have some time to post some pics from this rig. </p>

<p>Oh dear, it <em>does</em> looks like another addict in the making...Fine sturdy camera, <strong>Lauren</strong>, practically identical to the Argus/Cosina STL 1000 which sits in from of me here. That f/2.8 lens is an excellent performer. I'm looking forward to seeing the images you produce with this beauty!</p>

<p>The Vivitar has one of the finest shutters, made of steel blades but really quiet and smooth. I have a 3800N; also goes up to 1/2000 sec. Some of the Copal shutters [of a latter day] are said to synchronize flash at 1/250 sec., with really fast moving curtains. The Vivitar lenses are very good; cannot assess them by the, relatively, low price. Congratulations on good buy! sp.</p>

<p>Your camera pic reminds me of my first SLR, a Rolleiflex SL35M manual SLR is used in 1978 & 79. It went on school trips to NYC and Wash DC and took nice pics. If I remember correctly, the lens was a Rollei f/1.7 .... it eventually got parked in a closet and way later was given to Goodwill.....</p>

<p>Er..er...I have Vivitar 3800n too. Which mabe by Chinese Phoniex with PK mount. Plasic shell and metal inside.My vivitar with 28~70 ZOOM 3.8.the image not such ideal.But 50MM 1.7is good(Phoxie 50 1.7 )My other Pk mount camera is TOPCON RM300 (which made in 1978, later Topcon quiet camera making ) not TOPCONPro is LCD which difference compamy. My topcon lens 55 1.7 ok fine.<br>

in M42 praktica MTL 5 ,MTL5B(it does not work) ,COSINA CSM(does not work too)just use 501.7lens. </p>

<p>I own a Ricoh Singlex which I had CLA'd last year; the 2nd one in its' lifetime.. I have a 55mm f1.8 EBC Fujinon mounted on it most of the time. I also own a Sigma 39-80 f3.5 zoom which I use for portraits and macro work. The Singlex is a beast; a real workhorse and I love mine!.. I typically use either TMAX 400 for B&W work and Fuji Superia 400 for color prints.. Nothing beats using an vintage 1960's Japanese SLR, especially a well designed, rugged one like the Singlex.</p>