Canon Ae-1: squeak cured! Can the exposure be locked?

h_s1

<p>Just acquired an AE-1. The camera was suffering from the infamous shutter squeak. I remove the top (with special care given to how to remove the shutter/ASA speed dial so as not to break the infamous tungsten wire) and used a syringe to drop two very tiny droplets of lubricating oil onto the flywheel. Sufficient info is available no the web on how to do this. The squeak is history! I am shooting a role to check the exposure (it appears to be over exposing by 1 stop AFAICT). My next project will be to replace its seals in the back, perhaps the mirror damper foam and then lubricate its critical parts with appropriate lubes.</p>

<p>However, I have noticed a quirk. If I point the camera to a scene, half click the shutter release button so that the needle in the viewfinder moves and points to an f-stop, and then recompose, the needle doesn't stay at that f-stop. It appears as if the exposure is not being locked by half clicking the shutter release button and that the meter is continuously measuring the scene illumination as the button is half pressed. Is this correct or is something the matter with my camera?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>H.S., I believe the original classic AE-1 did not have exposure lock, and you have to go metered manual if you want more control. A separate exposure lock button was introduced on the AE-1 Program.</p>

<p>It's 15 years since I last had an original-type AE-1, so I may be mistaken, in which case someone here wll correct me.</p>

<p>Dave, thanks for the confirmation. I am have also learned the weird quirky procedure to follow if one ever wants to check the depth of field in this camera! The camera appears to be working okay after my partial and so far incomplete CLA. The flash also works, it fires 299T on every shot when it should, no shutter capping. I will wait to decide how good a job I did regarding cleaning the shutter spindles till I get the first roll back in a couple of days.</p>

<p>Mark, I READ the Manual.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ben, yes, you are correct. When I was working on it and browing various web pages, I had similar thoughts. Looks like since the squeak was observed, it happened when the shutter was release and that relation to the shutter probably gave rise to the now famous name. Besides, I gather that it is impossible to make the squeak happen in a camera normally without releasing the shutter.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...